Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Could they be mistaking cavitation for chine lock?

I know when I have my LSV dumped it is a pig in the corners and will sometimes get caught for a second. You really have to muscle it around every once in a while. But like I said it is only sometimes and when it has over 3k in weight not including ppl and gear.

Quote Originally Posted by DDL View Post
    Even on moderate or extened turns, the backside of this XLV will pop out frequently.
    This may be because of the low deadrise at the transom. What is it -- 10 degrees or less? Your old boat probably had something like 15 degrees.

Solution: you've got a ballast system. Use it! At least, fill the rear ones partway to put a few hundred pounds on the stern. That should help to hold it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Brantford View Post
    This may be because of the low deadrise at the transom. What is it -- 10 degrees or less? Your old boat probably had something like 15 degrees.

Solution: you've got a ballast system. Use it! At least, fill the rear ones partway to put a few hundred pounds on the stern. That should help to hold it down.
    I'll give the ballast a try this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    Ever seen an LSV in a high speed spin?
    Quote Originally Posted by moombadaze View Post
    Nope i havent.

You boys need to come take a ride w/ me. Power turns have a perfectly good use... "FUN". I understand and appreciate my boat's limits, and I never push them, but people's limits are far exceeeded by the boats - so that makes for a great equation. V-drives cant do real 180's, like the old 17' MC's...but for the average rider - they can't tell the difference siting inside the boat.

Direct-drives, v-drives, and any number of crafts can get 'prop aeration' (cavitation is sorely missused term). I've done it any number of times. It is slight and only noticable a small % of the time. Heck, just riding with the wakeplate all the way up and running too fast can cause porpoising and that can cause aeration and cavitation. Rough water and hard tubing at speeds exceeding what we all like to accept as normal can cause aeration. No matter how "low in the water" the prop is, air gets under your boat - it is not glued or to the water. The amount and longevity of that air is where you go from managable to aeration to cavitation.

-J