Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LSV for Skiing

Default LSV for skiing

i am headed out Tuesday to test drive and ski behind-- Draft is 24 -- i ski behind old 18 ft ski boat now but need more versatility for wakeboarding and skiing -- hope i am pleaseantly suprised

I had also wondered about this. I stopped at a dealership about a month ago looking to see if they carried a Mobius LS. Dealer said he won't order them because he can't give them away. Only carries 10-15 LSV's, 1-2 OBV, and 1 Outback. Smaller dealership, but it is the closest one to here.

The salesman whom I have known for a few years now (only know because we talk at the boat shows when we see each other) says he slalom skis the course behind the LSV. He said, "obviously the outback is much better, but you could easily ski the course behind the LSV because I do it all the time.". 22 off, 34 mph.

That same evening I skied behind a 07 OBV at 34-36 mph at 22 off and I found it to be a little rough behind the boat as I was coming through the wake. I believe the plate was down all the way.

I am still leaning towards the Mobius LS. Wife wants a V-drive so I am still having to work that issue. Haven't pulled the trigger yet as my kids are still a little young and I am waiting to see what happens with the economy.

Wife and I go to Las Vegas at the end of the month and I am hoping we can get over to Boulder City so I can at least sit in an LS. Still haven't been able to do that yet.

Default LSV Skiing

my wife also likes the LSV becaus of seating and we do a lot of family boating so i agree we need the wrap around seating. My other option is to head towards and I/O. I skied behind a 2008 20' GLASTRON about 2 weeks ago. The wake was hard at 30 mph, and wakeboarding was ok.

Tuesday i will trial ski behind it and post a message!

PJ

There really is no comparason with a glastron i/o and a moomba v drive. Yes they both float on the water but that's about where it stops. My sister has a glastron and I have an outback v. While the cost to puchase a moomba is more than a glastron it is worth every penny. When I purchased my moomba I had a 3 year old and a 5 year old. We were doing a lot of really slow speed pulling with ski skimmers and trainer ski's. The minimal bow rise and perfect pass help maintain an ideal towing speed when you are pulling at low speeds. This is more difficult when you are operating an i/o. Sure you can do it but it is a headache compared to a direct drive or v drive boat. Out outback V is a great family boat.

Smile

I'm no pro by any means but skiing at 22 off at 34 is ok but the pros warm up at 32off and 34,36mph and i can say i' wouldn;t do it unless you want to fly lots skiing behind an LSV. Yes its skiiable but thats about where it ends. A couple guys on here have the LS DD and usind the plate its actually a nice skiing boat. Depends on what you really want. Demo one if possible rather than taking anybody inclucing my word for it if you can. Then the decision is yours and not a salesmans trying to make a sale.The only tournament rated SC ski boat at the momennt is the Outback DD.I believe

Sled491 Guest

Man there is no comparison between and I/O and a DD or VD. Like was said they both float, that's about it. The Mobius LS a bigger DD than the Outback has been called by some the perfect crossover boat. With it's extra foot over the OUtback and extra width is a very roomy boat. Yes everyone loves the wrap around seating , but sticking that giant 325 or 340 hp motor in the back takes it's toll.

I had an 07 Outback DD. Currently trading my 08 Supra 21V for a 22 SSV for the new features and shear comfort factors. Most people in my group have their own cruisers, power boats, pontoons.... I love the comfort and versatility of the V drives.

HOWEVER, I am also researching a Moomba Bommerang to buy as strictly a ski boat for me and my one budy that still like to test ourselves on the course. A neighbor has one of these boats and it is hard to believe, but the wake is almost nothing even compared to my old Outback DD.

Since I don't own the course we use, I would never consider even driving my V drive through it.

On the bright side, after a few beers I can make it wake to wake behind my 21V at 22 off and 32mph.
    -Jay
    2008 Supra 21V

I will agree completely with ABUCKOTOMAMBO.

It was his OBV that I skied behind. While I said above that I felt the wake was a little hard, it is nothing in comparison to an IO. I have skied behind 20 Sea Ray's, a 24' Malibu Wakesetter (thank the Maker the ballasts weren't filled), and last week a 17.5 foot Bayliner.

As a former owner of a SKI RAY, that wake has been one of the best wakes in terms of skiing that I have experienced. The next closest to that would be the Dyna-Ski I got to ski behind a week ago and then the OBV that ABUCK..owns. The OBV was comparable to the older SKI RAY. The Dyna-Ski was pretty incredible.

Trust me... ski behind a Larson, Glastron, whatever IO and you won't be close to what the OBV is. I would be interested in seeing wake profiles compared to the LSV just for some reference.

Now if I could only get the wife to let me pull the trigger on the Mobius LS. ABUCK....I may need some help on this one!

Sled491 Guest

I skiied this morning behind a MC Barefooter with a 200 Black Max. My Outback wake is better. Believe it or not the wake from this barefooter was rock hard, and I was airborne on every cut. Not to brag but I feel I'm experienced enough for this not to bother me, but it surely was not what I was expecting.

Well I guess I haven't been checking the boards lately but going from an old MasterCraft stars and stripes my wife and I had our heart set on an outback V. Well until we hit the boat show and sat in an outback V and then the LS. There is a TON of room in this boat and we DO ski the Course and we don't ski it fast!!! I get tired of people on here saying yeah just crank it up to 32 or 34 and you will be fine. Ok tell my 12 year old son that when he is going down the course at 25mph! He does this behind our LS without any problems! Oh and by the way we surf, we wakeboard, we kneeboard and we slalom ski with a factory stock 2008 Mobius LS! I had to make a choice, did I want that awesome open playpen or did I want a ski boat that does all the other wake sports too (and really does have alot of room)!? The interior decor lost and the skiing won!

We LOVE our LS! Again if you find one sit in it and tell me there is no room! Or better yet come see me and you can ride in our boat while we pull my 9 year old daughter on her ski at 18mph.....and watch her cross the wake with NO PROBLEMS!
    Last edited by zegm; 08-11-2009 at 11:42 PM.