Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Fixed Front Ballast air issue

I finaly thought of a cheap and very good fix to the problem of your front ballast bags filling with air.

I know mine fills with air when im driving to the lake and sometimes even on the lake. Resulting in you have to burp the bag and this is such a pain.

What i did was install a valve in the drain line of the front ballast.

Valve $10
    Hose $17
    Hose clamps $3
    Valve fittings $2

Now when im not using the ballast i turn the vale off. Block all incoming air. When i want to drain my ballast i open the valve and the water drains out. When you filling the ballast you can open this valve and the over flow feature still works as this is strictly an open or closed valve.

Only thing i didn't get to do was i tried to mount some brackets to hold the valve in place but the tube behind it is the engine air tube and i cant drill threw it. I think it might be metal or maybe a brace is there. Eighter way my self tapping screw didn't want to start and i didnt want to force it. From the drivers seat i can lean forward and actuate the valve so im happy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Is the air coming from the empty line? I never made the connection... Couldn't you put a check valve there so you don't have to worry about cranking the handle?
    2008 LSV

So the issue is its the drain line from the front bag. When you pull the boat down the highway the shape of the bow is jsut enough to catch air and it fills the front bag with air.

This allows me to close off the line completely stopping any air from filling my bag.

When i am ready to drain the bag i hit the drain and open the valve. Every time i get to the lake i spend 15 minutes taking the bag out and pushing all the air out then placing it back in the locker and filling it. This saves me all that hassle.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I have the same problem but didn't put it together till your post. Do you think a check valve would work or would it have to be a ball valve?
    2008 LSV

mmandley--simple and a awsome mod-i was just putting blue painters tape over the outlet to stop air getting in.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Awesome!!! I think this might be my next Mod...

I've been using Cork, 2 for a dollar at Lowes...

I am confused. Why not just make a dedicated vent for the bag? On a proper bags and system for that matter has a fill line, vent line, and drain line. Who cares if the bag inflates the vent line should release the air as the bag fills with water.

Quote Originally Posted by danimal365 View Post
    I have the same problem but didn't put it together till your post. Do you think a check valve would work or would it have to be a ball valve?
    I wouldn't see why a check ball wouldn't work i guess i didn't think that direction.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceball 1 View Post
    I am confused. Why not just make a dedicated vent for the bag? On a proper bags and system for that matter has a fill line, vent line, and drain line. Who cares if the bag inflates the vent line should release the air as the bag fills with water.
    You could do this but im not sure if it would work the same, you would have to plum a line of the top drain hole in the bag at the front of the locker and pipe it back and splice it into the drain line again. At least thats what i think your talking about?

I wanted something simple and easy that didn't require a lot of plumbing changes to the system. Later in the winter when i add a nose bag i might have to go this route. Not sure. Im an advocate of KISS. Keep is simple stupid. So i try to keep things as simple as possible but i want it to be functional.

Id be interested in your idea as well with the vent. There was a good topic a while back about this vent in the front bag and thats what gave me the idea for the valve.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I am an engineer and simple is my name. One vent line drill a hole in the hull and done. No valves to forget to close/open.

Not here to fight, so good job on your fix. I am just making a recommendation.