Default 05 Outback Steering Cable

In researching the forums it appears the Teleflex Steering Cable part # for my 05 Outback would be SSC13418 but I wanted to be sure before I ordered. The part number I got from Skiers Choice was 106284, which I provided my closest dealer who wants $230 for it (plus shipping), so needless to say I can save about $100 ordering off the net.

In talking with Skiers Choice sounds like the cable was upgraded in 06 and shouldnt leak and corrode like the originals.

I did find a post stating part # SSC15418 was a better choice than SSC13418, if anybody can confirm either part # it would be appreciated. Thanks!

Default Moomba Wannabe

Hey,
    Did you replace your cable?
    How did it go, I'm about to try it myself to save a few bucks. My dealer did it last time and it went bad way to fast, about 100 hrs. My first stock one lasted about 400 hrs.
    Please share what you learned.
    Thanks,
    Brent

Keeping your bilge as dry as possible will help prolong the life of the cable. Every time you hoist your boat or put it on the trailer pull the bilge plug.

also leave the boat sitting with the wheel turned fully left--that way most of the cable is inside the protective tube.

this works on my vdrive
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Quote Originally Posted by moombadaze View Post
    also leave the boat sitting with the wheel turned fully left--that way most of the cable is inside the protective tube.

this works on my vdrive
    Wow never thought of that, learn something new all the time, I always leave mine centered so it's easy when I launch, guess I better start going left when I'm done.

Wait a dang minute here, this isn't NASCAR lol
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

kind of on-topic..

how do you replace it since mine is ran under the floor? and how do you get the cable fed through? not much play in them..
    and the all important question, how do you know they are bad?
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    kind of on-topic..

how do you replace it since mine is ran under the floor? and how do you get the cable fed through? not much play in them..
    and the all important question, how do you know they are bad?
    To replace it you have to pull the floor/floor inspection panel depending on the year. When I replaced mine I determined it was bad by unhooking it from the rudder and just turning the steering wheel which only actuates the cable. It was next to impossible so there is the perfect sign of a bad cable.
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

Quote Originally Posted by moomba wannabe View Post
    In researching the forums it appears the Teleflex Steering Cable part # for my 05 Outback would be SSC13418 but I wanted to be sure before I ordered. The part number I got from Skiers Choice was 106284, which I provided my closest dealer who wants $230 for it (plus shipping), so needless to say I can save about $100 ordering off the net.

In talking with Skiers Choice sounds like the cable was upgraded in 06 and shouldnt leak and corrode like the originals.

I did find a post stating part # SSC15418 was a better choice than SSC13418, if anybody can confirm either part # it would be appreciated. Thanks!

I am posting this because it took me some research to find the answer and this will make it easier for other future readers.

SSC13418 is what is in there now. SSC15418 is the part you want and need. SSC15418 replaced SSC13418.

I purchased mine at skidim.com
    Last edited by wakerider017; 10-16-2010 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moomba wannabe View Post

I am posting this because it took me some research to find the answer and this will make it easier for other future readers.

SSC13418 is what is in there now. SSC15418 is the part you want and need. SSC15418 replaced SSC13418.

I purchased mine at skidim.com