Default Break in Period?????

I have some questions in regards to the break in period and some other engine operations standards.

I am working on the break in of my new 04 Mobius LS. As of now I have 4.7 hours on it, but noticed during the last hour of use and the temp was approaching 240 degrees!!! This alarmed me but there was nothing I could do about it. I shut the engine down for a while ran the blower and opened the cover, but the temp did not change, so I took it easy back into the docks and shut her down. I guess my question is, how worried should I be about the integrity of my engine after operating at a temp in the 240 range?

Also I was reading through the engine manual and they said not to throttle the engine in reverse. Well while I was out on the boat I came into a situation where I had to do just that. I guess this can cause hydrolock with a marine engine, I was unaware of this under the circumstances. My next question then would be how soon would I know or feel the effects of hydrolock?

Should I just contact my dealer and let them check it all out or run it myself and monitor the temperature situation and check the engine oil for signs of water??? Please anyone with answers please post them ASAP.

Thanks.

Default Replying to Topic 'Break in Period?????'

I checked the engine oil and tranny fluid and they both looked good. No signs of water or any other contamination. I will just monitor the temperature situation myself and see if running everything by the book will make a difference.

I would recomend you take it in and have it checked. 240 degrees is too high. I am up to 15 hours on my mine and have already taken it in for its 10 hour service. My temp never went over 185 at any time.

Larry

I would definitely have the dealer look at it. It may be your strainer is clogged with sand. That happened to me recently. All it took was detaching the strainer and cleaning it out. But it took the service guy to show me what and where the strainer was and how to clean it out.
    Shoe

DID YOU NOTICE ANY PROBLEMS WITH ANY OF THE OTHER GAUGES? MINE DID THE SAME THING BUT ALL GAUGES READ HIGHER. IT TURNED OUT TO BE A BAD GROUND.MY TEMP RAN 230-240.

bluoval,

Another item to check would be the impeller in the raw water pump on the very front of the engine. Should be mounted on the front of the crankshaft. Could be that or if you have a strainer as per the previous posts. Hope that this helps, if all else fails have the dealer check it out.

Bluoval

You have a brand new boat that has a guage indicating a problem. Now it could be something as minor as a loose wire, however, it could be something far more complex. Either way, you spent some serious coin on this boat and it is backed by a good warrenty and an excellent company in Skier's Choice. Do you really want to trouble shoot it yourself and risk voiding your warrenty if you're wrong?

Use the warranty you just paid for and the expertise available to you from your dealer. Although it's tempting to just wing it and "see how it goes", you could really screw yourself here. Just my thoughts on this one. Happy boating.

Boat is at the dealership right now, I don't think the problem is too big. I think this because the temperature gauge reads about 160 before the engine is even on! So that is the status, but I have the itch pretty bad and cannot wait for the break in to be over!

THATS THE SAME WAY MY GAUGE READ.I TIGHTENED ALL THE GROUNDS ON THE BACK OF GAUGES AND THAT TOOK CARE OF THE PROBLEM.GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY THE BOAT.

Boat is fine!!! Woo Hoo...it was just a bad sending unit on the temp gauge. Now I just have to get the last five hours on the boat so I can get the oil changed. Then I can get to boarding.