Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: helmets???

Default helmets???

Best place to buy helmets for adults and kids. Rang my bell the other day and definitely need one.

Thanks.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Reese350 Guest

Protec seems to be the big brand. You can buy them anywhere you buy wakeboarding stuff. My kids and I have them for when we visit the cable parks where there are obstacles.

I have a hyperlite helmet. I like it alot. A friend of mine has a Shred Ready. I have tried it on and i like it also. Here is a link to the Shred Ready and the hyperlyte. Always try it on before you buy it if you can.

http://www.shredready.com/products/index.html
    http://www.hyperlite.com/products/124919
    2008 Mobius LSV Blue and Black.

We have the Pro-Tecs here and like them. I believe the best way to find a dealer is to go online and look for their dealer locator.
    http://pro-tec.net/

holy smokes. cleared the second wake for the first time Sunday... the second time I tried I almost cleared the second wake... but didn't. Caught the edge instead and the rest is history. Methinks I'll be wearing a helmet from now on... or maybe just stick to skiing!

Default same question and another thing

what is the difference between a wakeboard helmet and the skate/scooter helmets the kids have these days. Protec for example makes my son's helmet he wears on his ripstick and all those crazy boards and I can buy one or one similar to it at Academy or Dick's or just about anywhere for $20 to $30. Trying to buy a wakeboard helmet and it looks like they are around $60 plus. Aren't they the same? What are the differences and will one of those work for wakeboarding?

I can think of 3 potential differences:
    1. is the "padding" waterproof?
    2. is there any ear protection?
    3. how is it attached to the head - with skateboarding, etc. you have it on in case you fall but most of the time they kids don't fall and when they do they don't hit their heads. When wakeboarding, they are going to fall and their head is going to under water. Do you need something different/better than the nylon chin strap?

i have a byerly helmet that i wear. 2 concusions and 2 lost days.

i have a friend who wears his skate helmet. it looks like the difference is that the water helmets have hard styrofoam inside, the skate helmet has softer foam that hold water. we did not look too closely at all the differences, but that was the main one. my byerly does have ear covers that are detachable.

Default yearround

are you saying that you have had two concussions while wearing your helmet or that you went to a helmet after getting two concussions?

I'm not good, but I try and have fallen hard a bunch. I don't think I've had any serious "concussions" yet, but I've had some monster headaches that didn't go away for a whole day. I've definitely had "my bell rung" and am thinking that even though a guy that can barely ride switch and can't go wake to wake toeside would look ridiculous with a helmet on, I probably should get one.

I have the protec classic fit because it does not have ear flaps but a hard covering. When the ear flaps on some of the helmets get wet the bother me but the classic does not. Also a new brand that alot of the hydrofoilers and wakeboards are starting to use are Shred Ready- the standard full cut:

http://www.shredready.com/products/index.html

kids wear the protec... from what ive read, the ear flaps are the biggest benifit for a child...
    Attached Images Attached Images