Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trailer Winch broke

I couldn't believe it. I was trailer the boat after a great day out and as my buddy drove the boat onto the trailer. I pulled the winch strap out a few feet as normal.

Hooked it to the eye ring on the boat and just as always i winched the boat up while he gave me a little power on the engine. I wasn't even winching it that hard. I was one handing it like normal.

All the sudden like paper tearing the nylon strap ripped apart and the strap broke in 2 and the winch hook was sitting on the boat eye with a torn strap.

At first i was like GDit. How the hell so i get my boat out of the water now with no winch to hold her on.

I pulled the nylon strap out and tied a Anchor knot on the boat eye and cranked her up and its tight now. Got home safe was worried pulling her up the ramp though.

Can you buy just straps with the hook? Or do i have to buy a new winch system?
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

if you have a TSC ( tractor supply store) they have a large selection of winches and straps

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/...g=true&cFlag=1

Good temporary fix
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

I suspect you strap cut a nick on the edge of it somehow.
    You can buy the straps at West Marine and other Marine stores and online at trailer supply stores.
    Man I miss Boaters World!!!!!!

same thing happened to us a few years ago. as ed said, boat buddy gave me that extra vote of confidence. we did the same thing though. tied the nylon cord through the bow eye.
    new strap was $14 at cabelas locally. have seen them at several places. any sporting goods shop should have them.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I think I have tied a knot in the strap at some point on every winch strap I've ever owned. I think it's because the end with the loop for the hook gets wet and sits in the sun all day while you're out too. It just weakens over time. If it's pretty new you probably nicked it though.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    I think I have tied a knot in the strap at some point on every winch strap I've ever owned. I think it's because the end with the loop for the hook gets wet and sits in the sun all day while you're out too. It just weakens over time. If it's pretty new you probably nicked it though.
    I think i do recall a nick in the edge but its has threading tracks on both sides inner and outer so i figured if they are solid i was golden.

Ahh well it was a learning experience. I ordered 2 straps on rush so ill get them for Sunday boating. Ill keep an extra in the truck in case this happens again.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Ok so i just read this post after posting my own on my strap having a cut in it. Guess the straps that come with the trailer are not that tough. This is one thing you really do not want to go cheep on since it holds the boat down. Also mike if you have not already get a safety chain for the trailer. Talk about something you never use but one day if someone forgets to put the winch to lock only you will be happy you have it.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Yea ive seen the straps you mean that hook to the boat eye and then to the little welded eye on the trailer below the wench. I will get one of those too.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Just go ahead and get a boat buddy, the auto locking mechanism that takes the place of the strap and winch. Simply pull the boat on the trailer, and up against the rollers, or the rubber "V", or whatever your bow rests against and the spring loaded lock snaps around the eye on your bow. Ready to pull out and go! About 70 to 100 bucks though. Just a thought. And I would like to have one.
    http://www.cabelas.com/p-0001975011046a.shtml

hey this is sort of related- do you guys use transom straps in addition to the winch strap? I do because it gives me an extra level of comfort- especially when I pull the boat up the steep hill to our cabin. I've talked to a few people who don't with their v drives because they say the weight in the stern keeps the boat from bouncing.