Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Downside and Upside of buying in winter

I understand the general benefits to buying a boat in the winter such as price and the downside of not being able to use it right away (i'm in utah lakes are frozen here) but what are some of the advantages and disadvantages to buying a boat in the winter?

Well i can't speak for everywhere but here on the west coast it doesn't hold water, especially in this economy. What people don't realize is that boat sales are not like car sales. When car sales are slow (like in winter) it's easy to get a deal or work off the invoice because the dealers still get their incentives and lot buy power.

Boat sales do not work that way, they pay the invoice price and that's it, no incentives, no lot buy, no deferring ... nothing, nada, zip.

They can't afford to give deals if they want to survive, especially now. Sure you can find bank repo deals right now from out of biz dealers, but that's it. Then you have service & warrenty issues to deal with. I know this because they are all of the coast right now, clearing house deals.
    2007 Mobius LSV

what about buying used? When buying second hand, would there be any benefit to buying in the winter?
    Would it be more difficult to test it for quirks?

Quote Originally Posted by Davpmars View Post
    what about buying used? When buying second hand, would there be any benefit to buying in the winter?
    Would it be more difficult to test it for quirks?
    where in utah are you? i thought you could get on utah lake year round, does willard bay ice over too? or the extreme, i have been to powell in January, usually smooth water!

you can run the engine with a fake a lake, dealer should be able to check everything out too. you can fill and empty ballast with fake a lake

you could offer a down payment and finalize purchase after water test.

if you know what you are looking for, try and get in one before winter and know what may be susceptible to wear, etc.

good luck

With used boats there are always great deals to be had either right before Christmas when people need cash or right after, in Jan., when the bills come due. This is true at dealers or private sellers. It's tough if you can't lake test the boat though. Better have a reputable inboard mechanic take a look. Also, if you've driven the specific model before you will know what you are getting.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Buying used at the end of the boating season has worked for me. The economy helps too especially in areas hard hit. I know SLC had good deals on used cars so boats would probably be the same. Look at used boats in your area around the September time frame. I bought my boat used in February 2002 in Portland Oregon and I was able to test drive the boat which is important.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by zabooda View Post
    Buying used at the end of the boating season has worked for me. The economy helps too especially in areas hard hit. I know SLC had good deals on used cars so boats would probably be the same. Look at used boats in your area around the September time frame. I bought my boat used in February 2002 in Portland Oregon and I was able to test drive the boat which is important.
    Yup we test drove ours at the very end of Jan a few weeks after the Portland Boat show. Water was cold as hell but was able to water test.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Thanks to all of you for your answers. I'm in Vernal Ut which is in the corner of utah thats next to wyoming and colorado. I'm not in a hurry to get a boat so that is why I was wandering when the best time to buy would be. I have to settle with a seadoo right now but i'm aching for something that can hold more than 2 people and put out a wake.
    I have been on a number of Moombas and feel confident that they are good quality and get the job done (and then some) - when buying a used moomba, most likely with a V drive, what are some things that you would suggest looking for? Is there one or two problems that moombas are prone too?

Quote Originally Posted by Davpmars View Post
    Is there one or two problems that moombas are prone too?
    putting a smile on your face
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

I would have to disagree on the deal is the deal is the deal...
    our dealer has a sunsport 24 from supra right now. pretty well loaded. boat was 60k at the boat show this spring. right now, it can be had for 49k. bet it'll be down to 46-47 in the dead of winter. that's just a guess, but 11k off the boat show price now is a good discount and everyone thinks boat shows are the best time..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten