Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I don't recall the product name they were at Walgreens though LOL. They were cone shaped with compressible rings on them, like 3 of them so they could block out water. If you have the compressible ball kind that form to your ear those are the best IMO.

I have the cheap form kind that you compress and put in your ear i use when my ears are bothering me.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Thumbs up Doc's ProPlugs

Ear plugs designed for watersports! My daughter used them (was on the ProPlug team for a while) when she was younger and had some ear infection problems. The vented plugs are designed for watersports.

www.proplugs.com
    www.louisianawakeboarding.com

2004 LSV
    Perfect Pass, Integrated ballast (front, rear, middle), Wake Plate, Tower mounted bimini, Swivel board racks, Surf board rack, Tower mounted mirror, Keel guard, 4 tower speakers, 12" sub, 2 amps, transom remote, Bow filler cushion, and the list continues to grow.

Default Hole in Your Eardrum

Quote Originally Posted by Limishowman3 View Post
    I was out wakeboarding yesterday and landed dirty and tore a hole in my ear drum. Doc said it should heal up on its own in about 6 weeks and if i do get in the water put in an ear plug. What is yalls take on how long i should be out for riding. I was thinking two weeks and then stick a plug in there and just take some easy sets and until my six weeks is up.
    Limi:

The reason I have my Moomba is that I'm living inland now - no waves. No worries, though.

In 1989 I ruptured an eardrum while surfing in NC (my home). I took off on a much bigger wave than I was qualified for, but given another chance, I'd do it again. Now 20 years later in a lake in Tennessee, I can still blow bubbles out of my right ear. The perforation in my right eardrum never did close up.

It's not a big deal. It's become second nature to maintain some positive pressure when I'm under water. I've even been diving below 120 ft with no issues as long as I was thinking.

I think it's normal for your eardrum to finally close up. Mine never did. I have very slight hearing loss in my right ear. At age 46 it doesn't really bother me. Just hoping it doesn't get worse later.

I have to disagree with the helmet suggestions. A few years ago, while wearing a Protec helmet I ruptured my eardrum due to the helmet.

We had set up a ramp at the end of the pier and were jumping BMX bikes off of it. After my buddy nearly killed himself by catching the edge of the ramp, I decided to put on the helmet. Then when I jumped the ramp, as I entered the lake all the water rushed into my helmet. The water had nowhere to escape so the pressure built up to the point that my eardrum ruptured.

I know they make "vented" ear pads for the helmets, but that would seem to contradict the initial point of preventing water from rushing in.
    Last edited by Kelsey; 08-11-2009 at 06:52 PM. Reason: typo
    04 XLV

A helmet no matter what sport is NEVER a bad thing!

Not all Pro Tec helmets have the Ear Flaps which are designed to sheild the ear in the event of a fall where water would slap the ear.
    And to be honest I don't understand or I can't picture in my head how pressure built up in a helmet? Does this helmet cover the ears? Is it a water sports helmet? Do you have a video?
    I guess my concern here is due to some freak accident experienced doing a sport that maybe .05%, ok lets make it .005% of the population MIGHT do you "express" the idea that a helmet caused an injury. OK I can say that there are some freak accidents that maybe a helmet (.005%) may make a situation worse. But "I" wouldn't express my idea's or thoughts or beliefs to the effect that I would convince someone to NOT wear ANY type of SAFETY gear.
    Again these are my thoughts and maybe because I have a huge OSHA type audit in 2 weeks and I have to train idiots who think safety glasses are NOT required in a machine shop to wear them, yeah maybe I am overreacting!
    But my kids WILL wear their helmets!!!

I work in the medical field and I work with head injured patient's on a daily basis. I also work with audiologists and ear nose and throat doctors and have discussed this very topic. What people need to understand is that a ruptured ear drum can be caused by whiplash itself. Not just from water rushing into the ear.

Respectfully
    James
    2008 Mobius LSV Blue and Black.

After my two week checkup, my doc said my hole had healed over but was still prty thin, and that i should avoid flying for another couple weeks, which wont be happening. I went riding the day before too and just put a foam plug in. The doc said your eardrum is always going to be weaker in the spot for the rest of your life. So he said just putting some type of plug in wouldn't hurt when i ride. He also said once my offseason rolls around that i should heal up nicely, but will still always be a lil weaker than it normally was.
    07 Moomba Outback

Limish.....

between barefootin and wakeboardin, I've done this 3 times now to my left ear..... Cannot for the life of me stop turning my head on impact.

I don't have to pop that ear on flights any more, but don't hear out of it as well either. I would say you done good, and when it happens again just be sure to avoid lake water in it for a couple weeks. That crystal clear Dale Hollow water I board in just isn't that clear