Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Reverse Steers Only One Direction

My boat only steers in one direction in reverse. In forward it steers correctly but in reverse it only steers in one direction. How is that possible?

Default Rudder and Prop

Your engine connects to your prop. Your prop is in front of your rudder on the boat. In forward, your prop sends water over (around) the rudder. The more water going over the rudder, the better the response is for the turning of the boat.
    In reverse, your prop pulls water. However, because there is a (relatively) large gap between the rudder and the prop, most of the water does not pass the rudder. Thus, the rudder is ineffective. Also, because your props spins sideways relative to the boat, it pulls water from one side more than anywhere else. The is called "squat", in prop driven planes it is called "P"-factor.
    Direct Drives pull to the right in reverse unless you have a CC Nautique (they all pull left).

Now, just practice and use it to your advantage. Thinking ahead of the boat will allow you to manuever it anywhere you need to.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

A Vdrive can actually be very manuverable if you understand the principles and apply them. Just remember that all manuvers at the dock or alongside another boat are done at extremely slow speed, bumping the throttle is the key.

When backing off the trailer dockside bumping reverse will allow you to back straight up without the stern moving right.

When docking slowly approach (again bump the throttle) the dock on your starboard side at roughly a 20-25 degree angle. As the bow approaches the dock engage reverse and the boat will swing alongside the dock.

Practice this technique by spinning your boat. By engaging forward and reverse in succession you can virtually spin your inboard around within it's own length. A very useful manuver when the ramp is full and you need to get away or are in close confines.

Once you have these techniques down you'll wonder why you worried about it! One of my favs that never fails to impress people is backing to another boats swim platform. I cross the stern of another boat slowly at about a 15 degree angle and reverse slowly and the platform backs right up to the other, great for loading and unloading peeps in your boating party!
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by moombamaniac View Post
    My boat only steers in one direction in reverse. In forward it steers correctly but in reverse it only steers in one direction. How is that possible?

Seriously!!!!

Definitely took some getting used to. But now when I have a chance to drive the neighbors outboard - I have a much harder time coming alongside the dock with the outboard. Slow approach , bumping throttle (reverse-neutral-reverse-neutral-...), and do not shut down until you are at a complete stop where you want to be. I actually prefer it these days, but I am not trailering...
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

There's nothing easier to drive than an outboard.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    A Vdrive can actually be very manuverable if you understand the principles and apply them. Just remember that all manuvers at the dock or alongside another boat are done at extremely slow speed, bumping the throttle is the key.

When backing off the trailer dockside bumping reverse will allow you to back straight up without the stern moving right.

When docking slowly approach (again bump the throttle) the dock on your starboard side at roughly a 20-25 degree angle. As the bow approaches the dock engage reverse and the boat will swing alongside the dock.

Practice this technique by spinning your boat. By engaging forward and reverse in succession you can virtually spin your inboard around within it's own length. A very useful manuver when the ramp is full and you need to get away or are in close confines.

Once you have these techniques down you'll wonder why you worried about it! One of my favs that never fails to impress people is backing to another boats swim platform. I cross the stern of another boat slowly at about a 15 degree angle and reverse slowly and the platform backs right up to the other, great for loading and unloading peeps in your boating party!
    it does take time to get use to and i was wondering if there was something wrong why it always went one way. never getting my test drive i missed out on finding out the easy pointers and learnin on the fly great advise!

Gus you'll get it in no time!
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    Gus you'll get it in no time!
    first time out was pretty rough thats no joke but been out about 10 times now and i'm getting the knack down and really starting to like it. it was just a big adjustment from an outboard!

no doubt the v drive takes some getting used to. I was used to driving a stern drive deck boat that steered best in reverse. When it's windy you basically have to drag that deck boat with the rear end. I'm at the point now where I've found the benefits of the V drive in close quarters- tighter turning radius, shallow draft- to outweigh that big honkin' deck boat. Just have to back her straight up, and spin spin spin baby!