Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Teaching to wakeboard

So I was out on the water today teaching my 6 year old nephew how to wakeboard. The water was too choppy to pull him behind the boat so we made do with what we had so he could get the feel of it. I am way too nice. My parents gave us a rope and pair of skies and told us get out and get up.

I tell you this was a workout.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Nice Mike.

I know the first time i tried to water ski thats what it was.

Uncle said, keep the ski tips out of the water, keeps arns straight, and don't let go of the rope.

Alas i don't water ski.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Thats a great way to teach the feel, I will have to remember that.

mmamdley I think everyone on this board had those "submarine instructions"

what does not kill us make us try it again.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

I wouldn't mind trying to water ski now again. I just don't have the gear and don't want to spend money for it unless i know i will like the sport.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post

what does not kill us make us try it again.
    haha no what makes us try again is the people in the boat saying you cannot get back into the boat until you get up.

Also i would not do this with anyone that is weights more. It is a lot of work.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

i use that same technique all the time when i'm teaching newbies - it really helps them get a feel and i can look directly at them and see what they are doing wrong

I was able to teach Claudia today and for the first time she got up on her Wake Board. Shes pretty excited as she just learned to surf a month ago and this was only her second real time trying to wake board.

On a bad note i pulled my L4 and L5 vertibre again. Same ones i pull a lot and can barely walk. Happened on the first pull today and i was stuck driving and dealing with the pain all day.

You never realize how bumpy a boat ride is till your back tell you every wave you hit big and small. It was a painful day out on the water but as long as i could drive i wasn't calling it quits on my crew.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Way to tough it out for the team. Hope you're feeling better soon. Congrats to Claudia! I really think teaching surfing first is the way to go. You can give a lot more help close to the boat. Once they get the feel, getting up on a wakeboard is much easier too.
    Last edited by kaneboats; 07-29-2009 at 10:32 AM.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Thanks Kane.

Yes actualy today we went out and i didn't wake board. I left the board at home so i wouldn't be tempted. I did take a few pulls on the surfboard and it was sweet. I actually got some good slack for a while in the rope.

My buddy Steve who is 6.5 230 got to free rope it the first time today for a couple minutes.

New first time surfer Adam 5.9 170 3rd pull and he free roped it. I almost didn't pick him up after he fell LOL.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Mike, You really should not hurt yourself. It sucks being just the boat driver. It is good to hear you are still getting out on the water and letting your friends enjoy the time.