Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ok Razz you have put alot more thought into this then i have. I mean you even have the sand paper that you are going to use down.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Quote Originally Posted by jester View Post
    Ok Razz you have put alot more thought into this then i have. I mean you even have the sand paper that you are going to use down.
    LOL! I've worked acrylic many times before so i know what works.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    I'll describe the basics.

Runners: 1/4 thick x 3/8 wide runners made from white HDPE, same material cutting boards are made from. Routing a channel 3/16 deep in the runners. Round over the sides and top removing sharp edges so there are no injuries or chance of pulling off runners.

Install: bond the runners to the gel using a very special clear hi-bond glazing tape that does not let go, waterproof and is only -1/16" thick. Install so channel is just shy of bottom of window.

Air Dam: The acrylic is cut to size by a plastics firm such as TAP, they'll do it cheap when you buy the piece. Smooth edges with 800/1500 grit sand paper. Round over all corners and edges. Size the dam in height to meet bottom of the window.

So that's it. It all relies on being able to work with HDPE, using a router and getting your hands on the special glazing tape that's $75 a roll or a buddy who has some! I just haven't got around to it yet.

So, when are you or who might put this together in a kit to buy. Not sure if the walk through on different models/years are the same. You could make the kit a "cut to fit" option by leaving the side sections long and leaving the dam portion slightly large. Don't know what tool would work best to cut this type of material-skil saw, hand saw.

I the air dam portion would be cool with a etched logo but i would be happy with just a decal also.

I might be on the buyers lists if this would be available depending on cost.
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer

I am considering that very thing but want to finish mine to test. There's options i have not mentioned to get hopes up as i have to review cost. I'll keep everyone posted asap.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Oh yeah, to get a primo cut in acrylic you must use a very fine blade at a regulated somewhat slow speed otherwise it chunks. I use a special acrylic blade on a table saw.
    2007 Mobius LSV

How did your project turn out? do you have any pictures?
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer

I haven't even had a chance to attack this one yet.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Ed, How about you come to Oregon for a winter. You might have second thougths about a wind block. I will even let you use my dry suit for a run.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Ed, Mind if i come and live with you for the winter? Only two nights a year i could wakeboard all year without issues or having my differnt parts turn blue.

What this. Is Mr.Ed having a sleep over. Count me in. J/K
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings
    Live life to the extreme and no less!!