Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default DIY Walk Through Wind Block - Idea

Again, just a brainstorm here, but so far this seems like a pretty sound idea to me.

Dave told me yesterday the bow screen Moomba has is a canvas snap it. I am not sold on that, so I got to thinking about a cool DIY wind block. I got the idea from the Malibu DVD I was watching a few weeks ago.

Get 4 strips of plexiglass about 1/2" wide by 1/2" thick, one sheet of 1/4" thick Smoke Grey transparent plexi and cut to the dimensions you need to fill the walk through.

On each side screw in two strips of plexi about 3/8" of an inch apart. Then simply slide the large plexi between the slots and you have an easy and stowable walk through wind block.

I even know a guy who could engrave these with the Moomba logo or the Roo. How freaking cool would that be?

Let me know your thoughts on this idea.

A wind block in Florida???

I like the canvas i got for 50 bucks. works well easy to install even after a couple "cokes" can store it anywhere. If its real cold then the bow cover goes on .

That does sound like a coll idea though, go with the ROO
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

I can be quite the pansy when it is "cold" (read below 70) here in FL...

I've seen other DIY windscreens use aluminum channel for the sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Guma View Post
    I can be quite the pansy when it is "cold" (read below 70) here in FL...

You and Zegm related??

Im sorry i thought you ment water below 70
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

I've worked up a design for making a DIY air dam for around $50-60 that doesn't involve any aluminum u-channel, screws, fabric or snaps and eliminates drilling holes, in fact it will not mar or damage the gelcoat at all.

I have to complete it and test it out to make sure it works as expected before i say anymore though as i'd hate for someone to do it and have it not work to their expectations. The problem i have is time to get it done!
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    I've worked up a design for making a DIY air dam for around $50-60 that doesn't involve any aluminum u-channel, screws, fabric or snaps and eliminates drilling holes, in fact it will not mar or damage the gelcoat at all.

I have to complete it and test it out to make sure it works as expected before i say anymore though as i'd hate for someone to do it and have it not work to their expectations. The problem i have is time to get it done!
    Do you want to finish this before the cold comes back? I have also been thinking of a good way to do this without drilling holes so i am looking forward to your soon to be setup.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Cutting and drilling plexi can be a big pain.

I agree NCSU. If not done correctly you can actually break the bit off wile drilling and it will get stuck in the plexi.

Interested to see what Jester and Razzman have in mind.

I'll describe the basics.

Runners: 1/4 thick x 3/8 wide runners made from white HDPE, same material cutting boards are made from. Routing a channel 3/16 deep in the runners. Round over the sides and top removing sharp edges so there are no injuries or chance of pulling off runners.

Install: bond the runners to the gel using a very special clear hi-bond glazing tape that does not let go, waterproof and is only -1/16" thick. Install so channel is just shy of bottom of window.

Air Dam: The acrylic is cut to size by a plastics firm such as TAP, they'll do it cheap when you buy the piece. Smooth edges with 800/1500 grit sand paper. Round over all corners and edges. Size the dam in height to meet bottom of the window.

So that's it. It all relies on being able to work with HDPE, using a router and getting your hands on the special glazing tape that's $75 a roll or a buddy who has some! I just haven't got around to it yet.
    2007 Mobius LSV