Thread: shaft alignment

Default shaft alignment

What is the tolerance on the shaft alignment where it enters the strut. On the V-drive side of the strut, my shaft is slightly off center.. I'd say the bushing on the starboard side is about half compressed and there is a slight gap on the port side. the prop end of the strut looks centered.

Is this something I should worry about?

I emailed techservice last week for the engine alignment instructions, but have not yet received a response.

I have a 07 LSV with about 300 hours.
    2007 LSV

I think I would be going to the dealer to have this checked. These bushings don't compress. Another thing you can do to check if it is properly aligned is to turn the prop by hand, it should turn easily with the transmission in nuetral. But if the bushing is already worn to compensate for any possible misalignment then this might not be a valid test now. It is something you perform when you put an engine back in and are aligning the motor with the driveshaft and or if you just replaced the bushings or shaft. To state that you can see a gap in this bushing makes me wonder if the shaft has worn through the other side of the bushing and is now wearing on the strut?