Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What prop on an '08 Outback

I'm wondering if it's worth changing my 3 blade to a 4 blade for a better hole shot...For those of you that have a 4 blade, is it really that noticeable??

Thanks guys,

Rich

local - I know it does not answer your question, but it's interesting to see that the Outback certified for USA Water Ski sanctioned tournaments must have an OJ, 3-blade, 13 X 11 prop. Hopefully someone can give some insight regarding the hole shot benefit from a 4-blade prop. - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

I had an OJ 13x13 4 blade and a 13x13 3 blade on my 03 outback. On the 3 blade I noticed the boat would idle as a faster speed, have a little more mid to top end performance/speed. On the 4 blade slower idle speed, better holeshot to mid performance. With 4 blade prop i would occationally bump the rev limiter when at wide open throttle.

4 blade-heavier boat(lots of people or ballast) wakeboarding, generally skiing/tubing

3 blade-lighter boat(minimal people/no ballast), slalom skiing, barefooting, or generally skiing/tubing.

I have heard some saying for general cruising some liked the 3 blade for better fuel economy. The 4 blade may be better for teaching because of the slow idle speed, easier to tighten the rope without pulling very much.

I personally run the 3 blade as my preference. I barefoot and ski. I do wake board but for my ski level(no ballast, low skill) the 3 blade is the choice. I kept my 4 blade for the spare.
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer

Good info guys. AWS (the place I bought the boat) basically says the same thing. Only thing is, some friends of mine say the hole shot on my boat would be better with a 4 blade...Hmmmmm. I like to ski behind MY boat, maybe I'll just stay w/ the 3 blade...

local - One more thing. I ski w/ double boot. Weigh about 180. Age 55. Hole shot on my Outback with factory 3-blade prop is no problem. - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

yea, Deerfield, I'm 49 about 205 and MY boat pulls ME just fine...It's all my fat buddies that complain about the hole shot!!! HA!!

I read on the message board that the three blade has less prop wash also. I wish I would have gone to the three blade.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Smile

Zabooda i'm glad you mentioned that as well as i've heard the same. For pure skiing the 3 blade is the way to go. If you upgrade to the wakeboard upgrade then a 4 blade was put on.
    As for the Fat guys complaining , tell them to lose some weight. Who's boat is it anyway ?lol I'm 6'5'' 210 lbs double boots No problems. Enjoy.

Sled491 Guest

My 07 came stock with the 13x13, which I bent. I got it fixed, didn't like the repair, and bought a stainless 4 blade. Still not balanced like the orginal prop but OK. Obvioulsy nice hole shot and lost nothing up top.

I jump in because Deerfield mentioned the 13 x 11. there are some new 3 blade CNC 13 x 11's that prop manufactuers are claiming to be a big improvement over the old stock 13 x 13's

I had my 07' Outback 13x13 OJ prop recupped for slalom and barefooting. Works great. Before the rpms read 200 faster than mph. Like, if I'm barefooting at 38 mph, rpms would be over 4000. Now 38 is 3800 rpms. Just like my Malibu. So, if you are having trouble on hole shot on a stock prop, have it recupped for better hole shot. By the way, cupping is reshaping the trailing edge of the prop. Most prop repair places can recup the prop for your sport.