Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Single or Dual Axle

We are trying to make some decisions about our order for an OBV in a few months. What are the pros and cons about having a single axle trailer versus a dual axle trailer?

We will be towing with an '03 GMC Envoy that has a 4200 Vortex V6, with 4WD and towing package, if this is relevant to our trailer choice.

I pull a single axle trailer for my '07 LSV. My tow rig is a 2000 4WD Durango with the 4.7 V8. Single axles are easier to move around and manuver but you give up some security and capacity by not having a dual axle. The single axle has enough capacity for the boat trailer fuel and about 500-1,000 pound of gear. When we go camping I have one cooler that my wife refers to as the beast, white costco 215 quart cooler. I think this cooler weighs about 400 pounds when it is full, no beer just food. Needless to say about twice a year I wish I had the piece of mind knowing I could put more gear and food in the boat.

Also if you have to do any manuevering of the boat and trailer, moving in the garage, by hand then get the single axle. Duals are a beast to manuever by hand.

I agree with Robert here.

I do have the duel and the biggest benefit you get is extra wheels on the highway make it more stable, also if you blow a tire your trailer wont hit the ground.

Moving it around pretty much requires it be hooked to the truck.

I chose the duel axle for the highway security mainly due to i always have to tow it 30 to 60 miles to and from the lakes i like to goto.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I got a dual for my LSV. I don't have a lake place so i have to trailer wherever i go. If you tow all the time or long distances it is probably worth it.
    2008 LSV

Guma, I had a single under my 03 lsv and now have a double under my 08 lsv-but I did use a single under it(0 for a month. There is nothing wrong with the single--much easier to move boat by hand in the garage--tows ok, can be a little bouncey. Now the double--I love it! and for me towing long distance gives piece of mind. Much smoother on the highway and just has the "look" a ski boat trailer should have. Still get a spare tire.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Quote Originally Posted by moombadaze View Post
    Guma, I had a single under my 03 lsv and now have a double under my 08 lsv-but I did use a single under it(0 for a month. There is nothing wrong with the single--much easier to move boat by hand in the garage--tows ok, can be a little bouncey. Now the double--I love it! and for me towing long distance gives piece of mind. Much smoother on the highway and just has the "look" a ski boat trailer should have. Still get a spare tire.
    I have an 08 LSV with a single. I keep 50psi in the tires and they still look like they are low on air. Did you swap trailers at the dealer or did you work out something with Boatmate?

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod62 View Post
    I have an 08 LSV with a single. I keep 50psi in the tires and they still look like they are low on air. Did you swap trailers at the dealer or did you work out something with Boatmate?
    I bought the boat off the showroom and it had single axle trailer, I told the dealer i had to have a double for this boat, he included the price of the trailer in my deal and let me use that trailer( put over a 1,000 miles on it) till he ordered another lsv and just had it shipped with my trailer, when it came in we just swapped trailers-that way he would not have a xtra trailer sitting around.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

I've had both single & duals over the years and for dual is the only way to go as i tow no less than an hour to any water. In fact it's hard to find a boat in Cali with a single axle at any dealer. The roads around here are bad and the security is highly worth it. Also imo the dual rides much more stable.
    2007 Mobius LSV

It really depends on two things. One is how far a tow to the lake do you have. I am not talking about the long trips i am just taking about where you are going to spend 85% of your time. Two is how much area are you going to have to back it in and out of places.

I have a single and have not had any issues. I go about 70 on the hwy without issues. Anything above that the trailer gets a little light. I have also had to put my trailer in places i would not have been able to get a dual one into. (well i could have but it would have taken a long time and lots more work). My drive to the lake is about 45 min away and i have not had an issues with the single.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Well the lake we will most likely start out using is about 30 mins away. I am not familiar with all the hot spots around our area, but I think I may err on the side of caution and go with the dual axle trailer. They just look cooler anyway!

Thanks for the info,