Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: drain plug

Plug comes out at the launch when I'm attaching the tie downs. Gets thrown in the glove box with the wrench. Reinstall it before leaving the house next time out. Knock on wood, haven't forgotten it yet. The boat keys are another story.
    2008 LSV

"I got my swim trunks and my flippy floppies"

Quote Originally Posted by dtlaine View Post
    My boat sits on the lift 99% of the time, so I never thought much of taking the drain plug out. Whether you have to or not, I'd recommend taking the drain plug out as often as possible.
    DT,

Same for me with the boat on the lift. So are you going to start pulling the plug while the boat is on the lift? You going to switch to one of the t-handle plugs?

I've thought about this, but it looks like it would be a pain and I'm sure to drop the plug in the water. I have a small shop vac that I use to get all the water out when the boat is on the lift.

I think this is a neat idea so that the plug is always with the boat:
    Attached Images Attached Images

I leave mine in the water all summer. i pull the plug in the fall when i winterize it. I put it back in after the winterization. One time on a previous boat I did not put the plug back in and it was not that much fun
    KenIdhao
    2008 LSV
    Wake plate
    Perfect Pass

well i guess starting now i'll take it out everytime i leave. when i park it i always open up all the storage compartments and seats to let it air dry. thanks for the input

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    DT,

Same for me with the boat on the lift. So are you going to start pulling the plug while the boat is on the lift? You going to switch to one of the t-handle plugs?

I've thought about this, but it looks like it would be a pain and I'm sure to drop the plug in the water. I have a small shop vac that I use to get all the water out when the boat is on the lift.

I think this is a neat idea so that the plug is always with the boat:
    I guess that if that plastic plug has an o-ring and the same threads it would work. You would just jam that keeper part from the outside once, and then it would hold the plug after its unscrewed in the future. I'll look into that. The other thing I could do is drill a hole through the square part of the plug and hook it to something (?) with safety wire. I'll have to put some thought into this, as I'm probably going to end up dropping it in the water at some point.

gus - I pull the plug every time the boat is out of the water. Makes no difference if it's on the trailer or lift -- the plug comes out. It goes back in only when getting ready to launch. In addition, when not in use I strategically place a small block of wood to keep the motor box open. This allows air to circulate. I take it a step further when it's sitting on the trailer here at the house by placing a fan under the cover. I do what I can that's within easy reach to keep the bilge area and carpet dry and the boat fresh. - Deerfield
    Last edited by deerfield; 07-22-2009 at 11:32 PM.
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Quote Originally Posted by deerfield View Post
    gus - I pull the plug every time the boat is out of the water. Makes no difference if it's on the trailer or lift -- the plug comes out. It goes back in only when getting ready to launch. In addition, when not in use I strategically place a small block of wood to keep the motor box open. This allows air to circulate. I take it a step further when it's sitting on the trailer here at the house by placing a fan under the cover. I do what I can that's within easy reach to keep the bilge area and carpet dry and the boat fresh. - Deerfield
    great idea... i guess anything to air it out better cause it doesn't take long for lake water to sit in your boat till it smells like a nursing home!