Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: drain plug

Default drain plug

when u guys take the drain plug out do u leave it out till you go back in the water the next day or just till u get back from the lake or what? my dealer told me not to worry about taking it out but from what u guys are saying i'm starting to think he is full of b.s.

Quote Originally Posted by gus 08 mobius lsv View Post
    when u guys take the drain plug out do u leave it out till you go back in the water the next day or just till u get back from the lake or what? my dealer told me not to worry about taking it out but from what u guys are saying i'm starting to think he is full of b.s.
    I remove the plug after pulling the boat out each time, and put back in before launching each time. My hope is that in towing, any built up water that wasn't bilged out will drip out while going up a hill. And it has.
    Lance Saville

2009 Mobius LSV

ok so you'd suggest taking it out everytime i load up on the trailer? i have some steep hills to pull from the lake to my house in the 20 mile trip so anything stuck should get away. any negative outcome from leaving it in could i have hurt something already?

I agree!!! Mine is removed when I pull the boat out of the water, and I put it back in when I am loading up in the driveway on my way back to the river or lake. Just so I am ready when I get to the launch. I don't think you can hurt anything by leaving it in, but I dont like the water sitting in the bottom of my boat during the week while it is sitting in the garage. Starts to smell and get slimy!!!!
    Last edited by Hootreville; 07-21-2009 at 02:29 AM.

I pull mine also and put back on on launch day. I tell the whole family everytime, that if one forgets all do. I noticed a big angle tilt while backing in the garage more came out. I will hit that angle everytime for now on.
    2014 Mojo Surf
    2013 Mojo Sold
    2010 LSV Sold
    2002 OB LSV Sold

I always take mine out when trailered since Ive been pulled over by the dnr twice its a big fine if they find water weeds ect. on or in your boat here in minnesota

when on the lift I leave it in but the boat isnt going to any other water soon
    2007 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by gus 08 mobius lsv View Post
    ok so you'd suggest taking it out everytime i load up on the trailer? i have some steep hills to pull from the lake to my house in the 20 mile trip so anything stuck should get away. any negative outcome from leaving it in could i have hurt something already?

plug comes out everytime boat is loaded on the trailer-i keep it on the floor in my truck right next to the wrench used to reinstall it. No hills in flat florida-live 5 minutes away from the ramp, so i just back down the ramp till the boat is angle and water comes out.

As for leaving the plug in--once was looking at a brand new boat and the dealer left the plug in, massive rain storms for about 2 weeks before i looked at it, we pulled the cover back and the water was up to the top of the seats--was a 06 or 07 lsv. did not buy that boat.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

I pull my plug for the drive home. Once i get home before i backup i put the plug back in. No point in leaving it out after i get home and one less thing to take care of at the boat ramp.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

i would leave the plug in if it was my choice. we have mussel inspections and usually have to remove the plug, similar to crix. to get the water out, you have to go up some pretty steep hills. usually the ramps i use are not steep enough to get all the water out.

Quote Originally Posted by c.rix View Post
    I always take mine out when trailered since Ive been pulled over by the dnr twice its a big fine if they find water weeds ect. on or in your boat here in minnesota

when on the lift I leave it in but the boat isnt going to any other water soon
    My boat sits on the lift 99% of the time, so I never thought much of taking the drain plug out. The transducer for my depth sounder came loose, so I had to re-epoxy it to the floor. I noticed that there was some water in the bilge that the pump wasn't getting to, so I decided to pull the boat out of the water, let the water drain out, and clean the whole boat. I couldn't believe how much water was in there when I took the drain plug out. I'm going to start to drain it every time I use it. No wonder the inside of my cover was getting moldy. Whether you have to or not, I'd recommend taking the drain plug out as often as possible.