Default 1999 outback carb issues

Just had a carb kit put in my holley carb. That was done because I was having hot start problems. The kit seemed to helped with the hot start issues. Now after the running the boat and then letting it sit for an hour or more, it starts fine, but as I get underway it sputters, bogs down and will die as if being starved for fuel. After fighting with it for a several minutes, pumping the throttle to get it running and it running for two or three minutes then it runs great. Once I stop and it sits an hour or so without running it all starts over. Not sure whats going on. Does anyone have a clue?

I am not sure if the auto choke is working propery. Don't know if that could be causing any problems or not. Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Sounds like you're getting choked. Or, perhaps the choke is opening and then not closing again after you sit awhile.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I don't believe it needs to be choked after only sitting for an hour. Who put the kit in the carb? I think they need to adjust the carb now the engine is warm and the carb has been installed on the motor? Float settings, idle mixture, choke settings, idle rpm, etc. I have rebuilt some Holleys in the past and they always had to be adjusted once back on the motor. I also installed a glass "see thru" fuel filter in the rubber fuel line just before it enters the carb as dirt and water in the fuel caused me issues too!
    I had this Holley for many many years and those Holleys are temperamental and finicky! Sometimes just a 1/4 turn of a setting and they will be fine. Also one of the most cold blooded things I ever owned next to a Honda motorcycle.

Thanks guys. I had a local mechanic do the carb kit last week. I also put a new fuel filter on during this process. We ran it for a little while on a fake lake and all seemed fine at the time he put it back on, but not so once we got on the water.

I contacted him and he will be coming over to work on it Friday. He thought he might need to adjust the floats and also felt there could be a choke issue. Hopefully he can get it sorted out, cus I wanna hit the lake saturday!

Heater,

Did you get it running good?

Well I sure hope so. The mechanic who rebuilt the carb spent some time on it today. The choke was working fine.

He said the primary side was working right, but the secondary needed some adjustment. It was running great on the fake lake, but just hope it does the same on the lake when there is a load on it.

I am headed out tommorrow so I'll keep my fingers crossed. The carb sure seems tempermental, however, I am clueless about carburetors.....

Heater Good Luck!!!

I am a motorhead, I raced motorcycles and cars. Rebuilt all types of engines, 4 stroke, 2strokes. I have had side draft DCOE Webbers on race cars and learned to set them up nicely.But many years ago (1979) I bought my first German car and it had fuel injection. On a wim one year the wife and I (she raced too and was dang good at it) put fuel injection on our race car and wow it wasn't faster it just always ran no matter how hard we turned or what the temperature was outside.
    Anyway to make this story short I have only owned fuel injected vehicles for the past 20 years except for my old Holley equiped ski boat. Once you get it right it will run really good make a great sound when you open it all the way up and be reliable but cold blooded. Last year we sold her and got a new LS so now I am totally out of the carburater business. Well I guess I have a lawnmower!