Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer Hitch

Default Trailer Hitch

Hey, I have a question for you guys who self-installed a trailer hitch and wiring harness on your tow vehicle:

From what source did you buy the equipment and what brand of hitch did you buy?

I recently bought a Toyota Highlander with "Tow Package". Given that it's a bolt on and plug in application, installation of hitch and wiring harness will be pretty much a breeze.

While price is important, I'm willing to give up a little to keep the purchase experience just as simple and easy as the installation.

There are a number of online suppliers. I found one called eTrailer from which I can get a Class III Valley brand round tube 3,500 lb. hitch and plug in harness for around $200 including shipping.

By the way, my Moomba tow vehicle will continue to be a Chevy Suburban. The Highlander is for towing a light duty utility trailer.

Please let me know about your sources and brand. Thanks! - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Are you saying a Highlander with a tow package DOESNT include a hitch or wiring harness?

As far as brands, especially for light duty trailers, I don't think it much matters. I'd go with the custom built variety over the universal type, but assuming it meets your load requirements it's just aesthetics. I found a used one on craigslist for super cheap.

Brain Rinse - You are right. The Highlander "Tow Package" does not include the hitch. "Tow Package" means the factory wiring runs to the cargo area and is ready for a plug in harness. No cutting, taping, etc. The hitch on which I have my eye on the eTraler.com site is a custom application -- not universal. - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

That is kind of weird. Ford and chevy include a tranny cooler and reciever with the "tow package. From what I know the tranny cooler is most important. IMO lighting should be the last of your concerns.
    2008 LSV

By the way... How do you like the Highlander? I would like to have a light duty SUV for myself, Jen drives the Expedition.
    2008 LSV

Just go to Uhaul and buy the hitch. I always get them there and they've always been Valley Hitches overtagged by a Uhaul sticker. Didn't need one for the GMC as it came with the full tow package ... hitch, HD wiring, cooler, etc. Added rear air bags & compressor to round it out.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by danimal365 View Post
    That is kind of weird. Ford and chevy include a tranny cooler and reciever with the "tow package. From what I know the tranny cooler is most important. IMO lighting should be the last of your concerns.
    YOu have to remeber it is a Toyota and everything is optional. The running joke is the doors and seats are optional.

I second just going down to Uhaul and getting a hitch. I would also say you want to get one that you can use to back up the boat because you never know when you will need to pull the boat forward a little or back it up a little. A little more money now could save you alot of pain later on.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Bought my trailer hitch from etrailer.com for my sport trac. Good price and free shipping on 150+. My hitch was a few bucks short so i bought a ball right away other wise shipping was more than the cost of the ball.
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer

I have purchased hitches off ebay and paid more for shipping than for the hitch. I'll sit down and have a few Yeungs and rub it with sandpaper for a while. Then i clean it, hang it up and paint it. After the install it's like getting a brand new hitch and it's the one made specifically for the vehicle. Nothing wrong with Uhaul though. For lighting, RV suppliers have everything you can think of.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

reese, valley, hidden hitch are all great and will do the job and are fairly simple to install.

i'm sure toyota can order one that will be flush with your bumeper if you want that look; most suv's have a section of the bumper that can be cut out. i opted not to cut the bumper seciton out.

I did what Razz did; went to uhaul. i would defiently get one that is strong enough to pull the boat as a backup option.
    '08 OBV-gravity III with two 550 lb & one 400 lb, 3 pair of Kicker KM613 cabin speakers, Kicker KM10 sub, one set KM6500.2 HLCD tower speakers, Kicker ZXM700.5 amp, Kicker ZX450.2 & Kenwood KMR-440U head unit