Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Engine oil 15w40 Need help .

Like to know what everyone runs in there in engine. I have 08 lsv 5.7. Doing the first 10 hour oil change. Also do u need to change trans fluid like the book says. dealer told me if it is pink and clean wait. I run a auto shop so we carry rotella t is that ok to use . thanks andy .

I know alot of guys like the synthetic but I have used the Rotello for the last few oil changes. I used to use Castol. I know Indmar recommends Pennzoil but I have never liked it.

Monty
    2001 Outback LS

" Son, I'm Captain Jack Sparrow "

Quote Originally Posted by MOOMBA_97 View Post
    I know alot of guys like the synthetic but I have used the Rotello for the last few oil changes. I used to use Castol. I know Indmar recommends Pennzoil but I have never liked it.

Monty
    I will second that!

I'm not going to get into a pissing war about all other oils & Rotella as some people seem to think it's ok to use it in everything but I'm just gonna says this, use oil other than what's recommended (marine use) and if you have engine issues Indmar can void the warrenty, seen it done.

I've seen Mercruiser & Volvo both do it. I've seen Harley-Davidson do it. All because of using Rotella. If your going to ask this question then ask it of someone in the know, ie: the dealer and get his take on it as he's the one you'll be worrying about.

So i'll ask this, why would you use an oil other than what is recommended especially during break in period? Rotella is cheap hence the reason most people use it. As most boats only change fluid once every season what's the big cost savings? Especially since the cost of an engine is far greater if something was to happen and your warrenty is voided.

Like i said i'm not trying to start a war regardless of who uses it, regardless of what the SAE specs are or who said it's ok. Why chance it?
    2007 Mobius LSV

i called moomba/sc personally cause dealer isn't really that close to me and auto zone didn't have marine oil. can't remember the guy i talked to but he said anything other then pennzoil will void the warranty so i'm not gonna chance it

Jeepers. Well good to know that. I happen to be a big Penzoil fan myself LOL. This year im biting the costs and letting AWS do my service. They did the 20hr service and im going to pay them for winterization and summerazation this year since its the first year.

Just don't want to risk any problems the first season change with the boat. Next year ill get more into doing it all myself.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Use any oil that meets or exceeds the requirements laid out in your owner's manual. The brand that you choose is that, a choice. You like Coke, I like Pepsi, we are both happy.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Im sure if you dont have your dealer or indmar service certified dealer do the service and maintainace on your boat they will try to void warranty any way and there is no f-ing way I am paying 300+ dollars to simply change oil sorry
    2007 Outback V

From the owners manual.

Indmar recommends 15W-40 Pennzoil Marine in their
    engines. If not available, use a 15W40 motor oil with an
    A.P.I. classification rating of SL/SJ/CI4/CH4/CG4 or
    equivilent. Synthetic oils are not recommended until after
    the engine has been run for 100 hours.

Default 15w 40 Oil

Thanks for the help. But if you look at the #s for rotella and penzoil there the same. both oils are high load oils thats it. It would be a good law suit if moomba would void my warranty. The only thing diffrent is it ,says marine. I sell oil at a auto shop. And i have compared both oils and see no diffrence. If iam wrong let me know thanks andy