Default First Time Wakeboarding

Bought my wakeboard 4 weeks ago, but was delayed in trying it out due to the combination of rain, vacation and not having a spotter. Finally got to try wakeboarding yesterday with success first time out. Watched "The Book" chapter on getting up and did the bent knees and straight arms and got up on the third attempt. First two attempts the wife wasn't giving it enough gas, seemed like she was dragging me forever. Told her to give it more gas on the third attempt and I got right up. Waterskiing experience from 25 years ago probably helped a bit. Did a little carving inside the wake to get used to the feel, I think the experience in snowboarding helps too. Then I ventured outside the wake and things got ugly fast. But it was a blast, can't wait to get back out to go again and this time get my son up too. He's almost there, but seems to be too quick to straighten his board instead of side sliding a bit more.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2008 LSV

"I got my swim trunks and my flippy floppies"

Finally!!! When did you guys find time to do that? The lake has just been crazy busy during the day. Looking good!

Sweet...

I know I am having fun. I too got the book and trying the sideways slide the in the middle and control it. Got to where doing a switch. I like the slower speeds to test, not quite a slam when you fall.
    2014 Mojo Surf
    2013 Mojo Sold
    2010 LSV Sold
    2002 OB LSV Sold

Finally is right. After I spent a couple hours pulling everyone around in the tube I pulled the plug and said it's time for Dad to wakeboard. I actually started off not far off from your dock since the water was smooth there. It wasn't as crowded either since it was around 6pm.
    2008 LSV

"I got my swim trunks and my flippy floppies"

Quote Originally Posted by TSC View Post
    Finally is right. After I spent a couple hours pulling everyone around in the tube I pulled the plug and said it's time for Dad to wakeboard. I actually started off not far off from your dock since the water was smooth there. It wasn't as crowded either since it was around 6pm.
    Your right, it is usually pretty calm in around the island, sometimes I look from the house and see that it is nice and calm but when I get down to the boat and look out across it is pretty rough out in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by TSC View Post
    Bought my wakeboard 4 weeks ago, but was delayed in trying it out due to the combination of rain, vacation and not having a spotter. Finally got to try wakeboarding yesterday with success first time out. Watched "The Book" chapter on getting up and did the bent knees and straight arms and got up on the third attempt. First two attempts the wife wasn't giving it enough gas, seemed like she was dragging me forever. Told her to give it more gas on the third attempt and I got right up. Waterskiing experience from 25 years ago probably helped a bit. Did a little carving inside the wake to get used to the feel, I think the experience in snowboarding helps too. Then I ventured outside the wake and things got ugly fast. But it was a blast, can't wait to get back out to go again and this time get my son up too. He's almost there, but seems to be too quick to straighten his board instead of side sliding a bit more.
    Awesome man i bet it felt great to get up on that board. I know my first time i was so stoked i couldn't get back up, i was rushing it and kept face planting LOL. I have to get myself to calm back down LOL.

Here a tip to give the little lady when pulling you. My gal had the same problem.

Sit next to her, have her act like shes pulling you up, Tell her to ease the throttle till the rope it tight, then steadily push it forward, don't stop, once you add throttle keep adding it, till you see that speedo pass 15, then you can start to easy off it. A few try's at this and she will get the smooth throttle acceleration you need. Once you feel shes got it with you in the boat jump in the water and see how she does and how it feels.

Claudia used to drag me a lot too, she was afraid she would hurt me by pulling me to hard, till i told her if its to hard im going to let go LOL. It takes a little practice but once she gets that feel for the smooth pull then everyone will want her to drive them. This works the same for pulling tubes and wake surfing if you all do that.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

The first time i tried to wakeboard i was trying being a jetski, after a about 3 hours of tubing. it didnt go well. i never made it up. i punched the board multiple times, got to the point i just couldnt hold the handle any more.

since we dont have a boat (just two seadoo GTX's and a pontoon) its kinda tough. but the next weekend we were all out we decided to give it a shot with the pontoon pulling us. i made it up the first time, for about 3 seconds but i was up. i had the determination.

so now were in the process of getting a 09 outback V me and my brother are hyped.

also when i start i tend to have the board with my front side higher, i know its not "proper" was but it works better for me.

it is an addicting activity.

Very cool The rain here in CT is killing everybody.
    Share The Water
    2006 Outback V