Thread: cracked ribs

Default cracked ribs

So this is the third time I think I have cracked my ribs. The very first time I rode on a wakeboard two years ago after getting my Outback I thought I might try a little jump that ended up with me catching the front of the board and face planting. Ended up cracking the right side of my ribs. The very next time I went out the next week I face planted again and cracked the left side of my ribs. Needless to say I figured out that I need to learn how to ride the board before I start jumping. Anyway for the two years we have been going out about 2-3 times a week and I can now jump and 180 and little stuff like that. Well this weekend I don't know what I did but caught the front and cracked my left side again but higher up than previously.

So I am wondering is there anything out there on the market that you can wear to help this? I have seen a watersport jacket made by Dainese. Really pricey but I know it is good quality becuase I have racing leathers through them and love them. Anyway, anyone know if these things work? Are they worth the money to not have to go through this pain? Of course my allergies are acting up this week and everytime I sneeze it feels like someone is jabbing me in the chest.

Let me know if anyone has experiance with these.

Thanks

Ribs and water at high speeds do not mix. I have been wakeboarding all summer with some brused ribs. Every time i think they are getting better i hit hard on the water again. I don't know how well another life jacket will work but it could spread out the fourse to cause a little less pain in one spot and a little more pain all around. I would call them and see what they say. My best advice is to stop hitting the water and keep your hair dry .
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Not saying this is a good statement but "if you are not crashing you are never going to get any better". That is what we say in motorcyle racing and I kind of figure it holds true with about anything. I usually am pretty carefull when I jump to make sure I don't dig my board in but I guess I lost a little focus.

I have bruised my ribs as well trying to do raleys... not that i would rush out to buy this but if you really want something heres one idea..

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...356658.2360706
    ________
    Kawasaki A1
    Last edited by ajmoritz17; 01-22-2011 at 03:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ajmoritz17 View Post
    I have bruised my ribs as well trying to do raleys... not that i would rush out to buy this but if you really want something heres one idea..

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...356658.2360706
    That link did not work for me. What product was it supposed to match?

The occasional high-speed crash is why I still wear my Jet Pilot comp vest. It only has half of the floatation of a certified vest, but it's sipes offer far better protection than any other vest that I can find. Trauma from crashes are a higher risk to me than drowning.

Say, can anyone point out a certified vest that has a lot of sipes (the grooves that let water squish out from underneath you instead of generating such a hard slap)?

try this one , does not hold water at all and the eva compartments have great protection.

http://www.bartswatersports.com/cata...8V56/index.asp
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold