Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trailer Reverse Question

Recently had the trailer serviced for a stuck caliper and all seems fine now. Prior to this work we could not back up at all without putting the trailer brake key in. We went out to the lake this weekend and it backed into the water fine, thus we chalked the problem up to the seized caliper. However, when we got home and went to put it in the driveway, we had to put the key in to back up. The boat was on a slight incline forward the way the road is if that makes a difference. The vehicle is a 2004 Jeep with the trailer install done right from the factory, thus I am sure it is wired correctly to allow it to back up this type of trailer. Any other thoughts on where to look?

Thanks,
    2001 Moomba Mobius - JL Audio M6600/JL Audio 10" IB Sub/Sony CDXM50IP/Sony RM-X55M/Sony XSMP1620/XM Satellite Radio

My first boat, the 02 Mobius, had the same key. I don't think that it has the reverse selenoid like my 06 XLV does. I always had to use the reverse key when I put the 02 in the driveway. My 06 doesn't have the key, just the wiring to release it when the backup lights come on.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowa4 View Post
    Recently had the trailer serviced for a stuck caliper and all seems fine now. Prior to this work we could not back up at all without putting the trailer brake key in. We went out to the lake this weekend and it backed into the water fine, thus we chalked the problem up to the seized caliper. However, when we got home and went to put it in the driveway, we had to put the key in to back up. The boat was on a slight incline forward the way the road is if that makes a difference. The vehicle is a 2004 Jeep with the trailer install done right from the factory, thus I am sure it is wired correctly to allow it to back up this type of trailer. Any other thoughts on where to look?

Thanks,

Sounds normal to me. I have an 06 LSV, and I do not have the reverse solenoid wired. I rarely ever use the key to back my trailer. My drive way has a ever so slight grade as I start backing in then it tapers down hill. I've only used the key once that I can remember getting into my driveway. It usually backs up with no problem.

I will say that when you turn around to back up you need to pull forward kind of quickly to make sure the cylinder is completely extended before you back the boat up. This will help keep it from braking.

Some trailers breaking systems are more free and sensitive than others.

Obviously, if you back up a steep grade you will need the key or the reverse solenoid wired to your reverse light circuit.

My 07 was driving me crazy with not being able to back up but only sometimes... I have the back up solenoid. I chased ground wire trouble first but finally ended up being a bad solenoid. I changed it out and this is now a pretty sweet system.

I know that all double axle trailers '07 & up use the UFP A-60 actuator / disc brakes with backup solenoid which eliminates the key. IF you have the A-60 without solenoid you can easily convert it by adding disc brakes, the solenoid, 5-pin connector and running the extra wire. I've done this already on two other trailers and doing another in a week or two.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Ed G View Post
    your vehicle came wired from the factory with a 5 pin connector??

Most have the 4 pin and are in need of some wiring modifcation for the trailer brakes
    Yeah, it was nice to have it like that. We have a adapter that steps it to a four pin if we need it.

Thanks for all the replies - sounds like it might be the norm to a point. I think I will try the 'real quick forward' movement and then backup and see if that helps.
    2001 Moomba Mobius - JL Audio M6600/JL Audio 10" IB Sub/Sony CDXM50IP/Sony RM-X55M/Sony XSMP1620/XM Satellite Radio

My 2001 trailer has the same issue. I have the backup solenoid on it, and I have it wired properly, but the brakes still apply when I back up. I am guessing the solenoid has gone bad. Where would one buy a replacement? Dealer? Boatmate?

If it's the UFP A-60 actuator you can get it direct from UFP in San Marcos, CA.

Unique Functional Products
    135 Sunshine Lane
    San Marcos, CA 92069

Telephone:

(760) 744-1610
    (800) 854-1905

Fax: (760) 744-4709
    2007 Mobius LSV

I went local... They had one at a trailer sales and repair place. I think 26 $.

The new one had an extra ground wire but every thing else the same.

Mine does this intermittently when I hit the curb on my driveway. I was told by the dealer that it is a grounding issue with the breakaway tongue on the trailer. The ground circuit can be broken when the tongue gets jolted preventing the solenoid from actuating. They told me the fix was to ground the trailer behind the breakaway tongue. Haven't had time to try it yet but figured i'd pass it on.