Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Moomba LSV -> need input

I put down 500.00 to hold a 2009 Moomba LSV because I want to get into the sport of wakeboarding and the LSV seems like the correct choice. The salesman had me sold until today. Another boat salesman from Sea Ray says I'm making a poor choice for my area.

I live closet to salt and brackish water and will be using the boat in this environment mostly. GALVESTON TEXAS AREA

The input I need is on the quality of ride in choppy water. You see I also want a boat in which I can cruise to Galveston eat some dinner and come back up the channel which puts me in open water for about 45 minutes. Also the area has 50+ ft boats all around as its a busy area, how will the wakes from the larger boats effect the Moomba's ride. I have and eight year old kiddo and my wife will be driving as well.

This will be my first boat purchase.

You really need to demo and see for yourself. You're making the right choice for a wake boat, but big open water with 50' boats is a whole different matter.

As good as the LSV is, it's purpose is not to be an open water boat. You have to sit down and study your priorities. They might change a lot after you start to enjoy the LSV though. I went from pure skier to 50/50 ski and wakeboard with my last boat to 40% surfing, 40% wakeboarding and 20% or less of skiing and tubing with the Outback. Maybe you should do a little boarding first and see if you are going to get addicted. Maybe you need a buddy with the open water boat and you can be the one with the wakeboard boat. Good luck. Lots of help here if you need it.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Which Sea Ray were you looking at if you don't mind me asking? The Fission 210 is nice but pretty damn expensive.

Perhaps consider the XLV if you are using it on bigger waters. The size helps it handle the chop better then an LSV. Plus I don't know anyone who hasn't been saitisfied with an XLV, especially if you are wakeboarding or surfing..... the wake/wave is big.

Searay's are nice boats but if you want to wakeboard much or want to surf, you won't be totally satisfied until you have a V drive, I know I wasn't.

i agree with some of the other guys - the lsv is for wakeboarding, not the open water. i won't even take mine out on any of the great lakes or lake st. clair for that matter. it doesn't do that well in rough water. now if you want a great boat for boarding - you are making the right choice.

I bought a 08 LSV last year. I agree with kane on this one. I have plenty of friends with cruisers so when I feel the need, thats who I call and they call me when they want to wakeboard. I live on the intracoastal with tons of boat traffic and choppy conditions and its salt water. I planned on using the boat primarily for wakeboarding and a little cruising. I started out putting it in the salt water 80% and fresh 20%. A year later its 90% fresh and 10% salt and its now used strictly for wakeboarding/ wakesurfing. Due to the fact that I can always fing glass at the lake and the conditions are usually calm. Plus I feel much better when my boat is in the fresh water. Just the thought of salt water makes my cringe. In my opinion, the boat doesn't handle the chop well. Its a bad ass wakeboarding boat for sure.

We have an 07 Outback and I can tell you it sucks in rough water. We want to trade it in soon for an LSV or Outback V (09) just for the v-drive, but we are keeping our fingers crossed that either of those two handle chop better than the Outback. We predominantly ride in a river, but when we vacation to a lake it beats us to death and leaves us soaked.

For the OP...prior to this boat we had a SeaRay 180. Great boat. Handled rough water very well, and it was only 18'. We had it in Clear Lake more times than I can count, as well as along the boardwalk in Kemah. You can't go wrong with a SeaRay, but if you end up being a die hard boarder like we became you will regret not having an inboard.

I agree with 501 and would suggest looking at the XLV. I was looking at an LSV at first but the XLV is a smoother ride in rough water and does produce an great wake.
    2015 MOJO
    09 XLV - Roxy Blue (SOLD)

my advice period... demo demo demo.... given what you are looking for you will find hte right boat based on experience and what water conditions you face....

my advice.... never take a salesmans advice on some things... lets face its...they are in sales... you need your own experience to make the best decision for your and your family.