Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My 09 OBV Test Drive

Let me preface this by saying I have never even set foot in an inboard boat before yesterday. I have owned two I/Os and loved them to say them least.

So yesterday I headed up to Land O Lakes Marine and met up with the owner, Dave. Tossed out Moombadaze's name and he instantly told me that now he would have to tack on an extra $10K to the price of the boat. Just Kidding Stacy, Dave said he knew you very well and yeah 4 boats sounds about right...

There are salesmen who know their product and could not care less about it, and then there are salesmen who know their product and are excited to talk about it, answer questions, and help in any way possible. Dave most definitely falls into the latter group of salesmen! He is a an awesome guy and answered every single question I had very thoroughly and then some! He also took the time to tell me about things I wasn't asking about. Simply put, I can't wait to hand this guy my money for the boat, and that is they you should feel on a large purchase like this. To top that off, it is a family owned business and even in today's economy he assured me, that they were here to STAY!

So on to the ride... Hooked up the tractor and towed the boat off the showroom floor down to the dock just outside the shop. Funny that all 3 of us checked the plug too. Back her in and Dave immediately starts telling me how inboards don't back up straight and how to compensate for this. This was something I had absolutely no clue about before he told me. He even walked me through pulling up to a dock or another boat. Of course he did it perfect and told me it would take me about a day on the lake to get used to the idiosyncracies of driving an inboard.

Get her out on open water and open it up and goes through the cruise control, really nice feature too! I hop in the helm and take the controls. First thing I notice, and I had read all about it, was the very minimal bowrise and just how fast it got on plane. Really amazing to me having spent years with I/Os and losing sight of the horizon for 4 or 5 seconds out of the hole. I was a bit tentative with the throttle and the wheel but I drove around for a good 10 mins taking a few sharp turns and checking out the wake at certain speeds.

Dave jumps over and says hold on...Here comes the FUN! He opens it up and turns the wheel and I felt like I was in my Stage III Roush doing laps at Sebring. I should have had a video camera on me because I know the smile on my face was EAR TO FREAKING EAR!

Needless to say, but I am sold on the Moomba OBV for us! I only wish I did not have to wait 3 or 4 months to get it, but until then you guys will have to put up with my incessant drooling and questions.

what's with the wait???

summer will be over by then...
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Awesome! Keep us updated on your purchase! Did you get any pics?

PWI as usual...

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    what's with the wait???

summer will be over by then...
    Summer is never over in Florida!

The wait is I am leaving for a job overseas in a few weeks and will be gone for 3 to 4 months. I have already got it ironed out where I will place my order about 4 weeks before I return so it would be ready or almost ready when I return.

Sorry no pics...

Glad to hear it all went better than expected.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

It is very hard too buy a moomba after a test drive. Out of all the boats out there the Moomba is by far the best boat for the money. It is great to hear yo had a good test drive.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

wonder if SC will walk us thorugh guma's build like they did Ed's? I loved that thread!

CONGRATS!!

Good decisions to go with a Moomba!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    wonder if SC will walk us thorugh guma's build like they did Ed's? I loved that thread!

CONGRATS!!

Good decisions to go with a Moomba!
    Who could I contact after I place my order with Dave to try and set this up? I can think of no more satisfaction while waiting than to watch it all come together.

Can you also point me to the thread?

Ed G - If things work out with our schedules, I will definitely try and take you up on this offer. Don't mind if I bring the wifey along do you?

Smile

I loved your story about the test drive and then the fun part of the ride. I remember yrs ago going for a ride in my friends MC and him telling me to try it out and see how it handled. We both came from Outboards etc and i kinda knew what to expect untill my friend kicked me outta the drivers seat and really showed me how his boat handled. Fun wasn't the first word that came out of my mouth.More like Holy S@#$. I was sold.
    My wife missed her chance to go for a ride that yr but the next season came up and my friend gave her a ride in his boat , and after my wife came back all she could say was what are we waiting for ,lets get one of those boats,so soon enough our order was in.
    We have an Outback DD which corners like a sled on rails, slightly different than the Vdrive but pretty similar.

I still get a kick outta giving THRILL rides when conditiond allow, just remember to forewarn others To HANG ON TIGHT.

Great stories i love to hear things like this.

Last year all i did was talk about buying a boat this year. We were putting almost 1500 a month in savings and my stocks to save enough to pay of the truck and allow the purchase of out LSV.

Claudia was ok with the idea but not thrilled as she has never realy been on boats.

Very similar story to your Guma with my dealing at AWS.

When we got to water test our first LSV Sean my sales guy drove it and gave me the run down. I was completely in glee at driving it. I have always owned big muscle cars like Z28s Trans Ams and such so im used to power and seat of pants rides.

Well Clauida sat there enjoying the ride even thought it was a cold January day. When she got in the drivers seat, whoooo

She punched it all the way to 40mph and all she could do was smile ear to ear. Sean said turn around, do a 180, so Claudia backed off the throttle, Sean said i didn't say slow down i said do a 180. Claudia cranked it hard as fast as she could and that boat spun around as we all held on and i was in aww.

After that one of the pro team riders that tagged along drove and really showed us how the boat handles and tracks and turns.

When we got to the dock Claudia looked at me and her exact words " Malo we are buying an LSV go give them our money " LOL
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]