Reese350 Guest

Default MI Wakeboard Tournament

My 8 year old rode in the Boater's Choice (Local Moomba dealer) wakeboard tournament today in Camden, MI. It was a great tournament and many thanks to Damon and team for putting on a great event.

I was lucky enough to meet Chefwong and his dad WakeMaster who were there riding in the tournament as well. They represented the Moomba clan well. Chefwong totally ripped it up out there in the Outlaw division. Very impressive!

Great to meet you guys, I suspect our paths will cross again in other tournaments.

Scott

Thanks for the compliments Reese! It was nice to meet you too.

That was my first tournament this year, bummed I fell on the heel 5 but i'll be dialed and ready for the next one.

Reese
    It was good meeting you. The event Boaters choice put one was well done. You did a good job keeping things organized as the dock starter.

Just out of curiosity what kind of stuff can an 8 year old do? I have a Outback and a buddy of mine and myself are usually on one of the lakes in the area about twice a week. Every other weekend he has his kids and one of them is 9. He does pretty good I think just being able to get outside the wake. This year he is cutting pretty hard heelside and able to get a little bit of air and land. I thought it was awsome that he can even do that at 9 becuase I doubt that I would have been able to at that age. Anyway just kind of curious as to what kind of tricks that age group is doing. He has fun and that is the main thing.

I taught an 8 year old last year to backroll. I taught the roation on the trampoline first, and then took it to the water at about 12mph just to get a feel for the rotation. He had a solid wake to wake jump and 180's.

I have also taught kids as early as 7 to wake to wake jump at up to a 70ft line.

Thumbs up

What or how did you do that with kids so young my nephew has been riding for three years and is ten only went wake to wake today and has tried a couple half back dives to start to learn to tantrum. He is better than he realizes but lacks the confidence. His mother owns a gymnastics place so air awarness not an issue. any thoughts.....
    2008 Mobius LSV Brittany Blue and Black

Really the best thing you can do with kids is start them out slow. Getting them on a trampoline with a rope helps a lot. Then when they try their first flips I slow it down really slow to let them throw the flip and show them they can get around and there isnt anything to be scared of.

However some kids are different then others. Before they would start trying flips I would ensure they have all 4 180's down wake to wake.

Wow, that is awsome for being so young. Hell that is awsome for being old. I cant do backrolls! I hope to at some point. Anyway, I was just curious as to what some kids skill levels are. Thanks.

Reese350 Guest

My middle son (now started when he was 5. Once we got him up and going behind our boat, we got him hooked up with a local coach who was able to really build his confidence and take him to the next level. Although somewhat expensive, I would find a coach in your area and pick up a few lessons. Other than that, we just burn a lot of fuel and let them have fun. We got my 4 year old up and going this week. I actually enjoy pulling/watching them more than riding myself now. I guess that's what it's all about...