Default Outback DD Ballast Question

Just wondering the reason behind the inability to use the rear ski locker for ballast. I see the sticker under the hatch clearly stating that the area is not for ballast and I've never seen anyone set it up that way.

Is my assumption correct that the rear locker fiberglass cannot support the weight of ballast? Is that why everyone uses the small space under the rear seat?

Thanks for any insight into this. I'm in the early planning stages of designing an integrated ballast but I want to keep it completely hidden.

Thanks -
    Jeff
    Sold my Moomba. Currently boat whoring.

Set Ups - 09 CWB Transcend Platinum w/ 09 Ronix Cells (his) and 08 Liquid Force Angel w/ 08 Alloys (hers)

I fill a 400 in mine all the time but I think mine's different. Your locker sits on top of the gas tank, I think, and my tank is under the rear seat.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Your boat must have the fuel tank under there. My 2001 Outback fuel tank is under the rear seat, so I do use my rear ski locker for ballast.

Why does that matter that the gas tank is below? I would sure assume that it is below. I have a rear fill for the gas and that would make sense. But both the rear locker and the gas tank are fully enlcosed. Why would that matter?

And under my rear seat is more storage.

Set Ups - 09 CWB Transcend Platinum w/ 09 Ronix Cells (his) and 08 Liquid Force Angel w/ 08 Alloys (hers)

I would be hesitant to put any ballast weight on the fuel tank. However, you should be able to build some structure around and/or over the fuel tank to support the ballast. If that locker has a carpeted bottom, there is a good chance that it is glued to a panel that is just sitting on top of the tank and not really attached to anything. You could pull all of those carpeted pieces out and see what is left to design some support. It might be as eay as making a more substantial panel to sit on top of the fuel tank. I suspect there may not be any harm in sitting a sac on top of the tank since the weight is very evenly distributed (if you use a fat sac), but it is probably a liability issue for Skiers Choice.

I think the question is if you can stand on it. I think if you can stand in there with no damage you can put a couple hundred lbs in there no problem.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NCSUmoomba View Post
    I would be hesitant to put any ballast weight on the fuel tank. However, you should be able to build some structure around and/or over the fuel tank to support the ballast. If that locker has a carpeted bottom, there is a good chance that it is glued to a panel that is just sitting on top of the tank and not really attached to anything. You could pull all of those carpeted pieces out and see what is left to design some support. It might be as eay as making a more substantial panel to sit on top of the fuel tank. I suspect there may not be any harm in sitting a sac on top of the tank since the weight is very evenly distributed (if you use a fat sac), but it is probably a liability issue for Skiers Choice.

My thoughts exactly. I guess the next time I've got the boat at home - I'll do some research. I wouldn't even mind plumbing in some hard tanks back there since I have plenty of storage. Then I could do two seperate fat sacs under the rear seat so I could fill one or the other for surfing. Good thing the front ski locker is easy and won't be an issue. I'll check out the support of the rear ski locker and if necessary, build it up to support 700 lbs of ballast. 700 lbs in the rear and 3-400 in the front locker should be sufficient for my wakeboarding level. If I have a couple fat sacs under the seat for surfing only - I can create a decent enough wave.

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    I think the question is if you can stand on it. I think if you can stand in there with no damage you can put a couple hundred lbs in there no problem.
    I weigh about 190 and want to put between 500 and 700 lbs back there.

The sticker under the hatch says "no more than 150lbs evenly distributed"