Thread: Ignition switch

Default Ignition switch

Looking for some quick advice if anyone has ever done this. I broke the ignition switch the other day. I can still start the boat but the switch does not spring back to the "run" position from the "start" position. Has anyone ever encountered this? Can it be fixed or do I need to order a whole new switch? Will it come with a key or do you reuse the old key? Thanks much as always!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

New switches should come with new keys. They wont have the fancy rubber peace the original one had.

There is some key lube you can get at the Home Depot in the door section. I would try that, or WD 40. Unhook the Battery and spray that in there. Then work the key back and forth. It might just have some dirt or tumblers are dry.

I thought mine was going bad because it was hard to get it from off to run. Then i noticed the black plastic washer holding the switch to the dash was loose and the key wasn't going in all the way. I know its not the same as your problem but something i ran across.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I'll give that a shot (literallly). This might be the simplest way to go, I guess.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SIEMP39200
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

sure wish we had the coded start like the nautique.
    keys are becoming obsolete.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I left my keys in my Co. Truck one weekend and some folks borrowed the truck.. I wanted to put the boat in.. So I went to Auto Zone and bought a generic ignition switch. worked like a charm. unplug battery while you install.

$10
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

The ignition switch should be a sealed unit to keep the contacts clean so I would say your spring has failed. Considering how important having a good switch is, I would replace it. If you do spray it down, I would use contact cleaner and use enough cleaner to wash it out but it leaves no residue for dirt to attach to the contacts.

I had a boat that I left the key in the ignition and someone came by and either swipped it or tossed it so I had to drive 10 miles to home and back with a spare key. Now I hide a key on the boat.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

I ordered a new switch. I'll have to replace the hidden key. Don't tell anyone but it's hidden up under the dash. You have to lay on the floor and look way the H up under there to see it but it's there in case any of you guys need to fire up to save my life or anything.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!