Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bad Overheating Problem

I have a 2006 Moomba Outback direct drive with 100hrs and it has a bad overheating problem.
    The engine kept reaching 190 degrees and went into the protection mode where you can only idle until it gets below 180.
    I had the impeller and thermostat replaced and i took off every water hose and inspected them for leaves/twigs etc since we spend a lot of time in the river.
    We went back out and it still ran at 180 degrees and cut off many times at 190.
    Then after a full day on the lake we parked the boat at the dock and had dinner. After about an hour we tried to start the boat and now it wont even start. We had to be towed to out trailer.

What might be causing this problem?
    2006 Moomba Outback
    Fusion Tower Speakers/Sony Xplod Amp
    Hyperlite Wakeboards/HO skis
    1600lbs balast

Quote Originally Posted by pat656 View Post
    I have a 2006 Moomba Outback direct drive with 100hrs and it has a bad overheating problem.
    The engine kept reaching 190 degrees and went into the protection mode where you can only idle until it gets below 180.
    I had the impeller and thermostat replaced and i took off every water hose and inspected them for leaves/twigs etc since we spend a lot of time in the river.
    We went back out and it still ran at 180 degrees and cut off many times at 190.
    Then after a full day on the lake we parked the boat at the dock and had dinner. After about an hour we tried to start the boat and now it wont even start. We had to be towed to out trailer.

What might be causing this problem?
    May be a blockage in your fresh water cooling system. Do you have a fake a lake where you can hook up the hose in your driveway? When the boat is idling in the water do you see water bubbling under your swim ramp?

i have checked the fresh water cooling system and there is no blockage.
    I have never noticed if there were bubbles but now i cant check because it wont start

Oh and I forgot to add this:
    It only overheats at idle, at speed the temperature goes down.
    2006 Moomba Outback
    1600lbs balast

i have checked the fresh water cooling system and there is no blockage.
    I have never noticed if there were bubbles but now i cant check because it wont start

Oh and I forgot to add this:
    It only overheats at idle, at speed the temperature goes down.
    Ok, I would check your impeller AGAIN. You may have sucked up some garbage and your impeller is shredded again. Did you idle your boat out of water for any extended amount of time? Anytime you have overheating problems at idle it usually means the impeller is shredded. The reason why you don't overheat when moving is because the water is being pushed thru the cooling system by pressure. I could almost put money on it that your impeller is chewed up. Go to your boat now and take off the plate to the impeller housing, pull out the impeller with a needle nose and inspect it.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddXLV View Post
    May be a blockage in your fresh water cooling system. Do you have a fake a lake where you can hook up the hose in your driveway? When the boat is idling in the water do you see water bubbling under your swim ramp?
    Can you tell if it is really running hot? It may be a temperature sensor issue indicating a false temp. If it thinks its too hot it probably won't let you crank it.

When you had the impeller replaced, did they give you the old one? Was it missing any blades? I've seen those break off and go inside the engine block and get hung up in the Exhaust Manifolds. That will limit water flow through the engine as it can't escape through the exhaust.

Take your board off the back and have someone drive as you watch the exhaust ports coming out the back. You should be able to see equal amounts of water coming out each pipe along with the exhaust. Its not going to be a full pipe of water or anything like that but you can see water coming out. That is how I new I had something plugged on my old Malibu. In my case it was getting so hot it was melting the exhaust hose coming off the manifolds, but I had zero water flow out of one pipe....

Quote Originally Posted by LSM View Post
    Can you tell if it is really running hot? It may be a temperature sensor issue indicating a false temp. If it thinks its too hot it probably won't let you crank it.

When you had the impeller replaced, did they give you the old one? Was it missing any blades? I've seen those break off and go inside the engine block and get hung up in the Exhaust Manifolds. That will limit water flow through the engine as it can't escape through the exhaust.

Take your board off the back and have someone drive as you watch the exhaust ports coming out the back. You should be able to see equal amounts of water coming out each pipe along with the exhaust. Its not going to be a full pipe of water or anything like that but you can see water coming out. That is how I new I had something plugged on my old Malibu. In my case it was getting so hot it was melting the exhaust hose coming off the manifolds, but I had zero water flow out of one pipe....
    Excellent advice LSM.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddXLV View Post
    Ok, I would check your impeller AGAIN. You may have sucked up some garbage and your impeller is shredded again. Did you idle your boat out of water for any extended amount of time? Anytime you have overheating problems at idle it usually means the impeller is shredded. The reason why you don't overheat when moving is because the water is being pushed thru the cooling system by pressure. I could almost put money on it that your impeller is chewed up. Go to your boat now and take off the plate to the impeller housing, pull out the impeller with a needle nose and inspect it.
    The boat has not been turned on while out of the water. I checked the impeller and its fine.

Quote Originally Posted by LSM

i could tell it was hot because all of the hoses were burning hot and had scalding water in them (took them off while in the water) and I took the one off the water pump and cool water sprayed out but there is no blockage in any of the pipes, i checked.
    I tried to start the boat when the temp read 135 degrees, it was not hot at the time. we cut if on and off while at 200 degrees and it started right up
    i did get the old impeller and it was not broken or torn.
    Last edited by pat656; 06-28-2009 at 04:15 PM.
    2006 Moomba Outback
    1600lbs balast

The boat has not been turned on while out of the water. I checked the impeller and its fine.

i could tell it was hot because all of the hoses were burning hot and had scalding water in them (took them off while in the water) and I took the one off the water pump and cool water sprayed out but there is no blockage in any of the pipes, i checked.
    I tried to start the boat when the temp read 135 degrees, it was not hot at the time. we cut if on and off while at 200 degrees and it started right up
    Sounds like it may need to go back to the dealer or a dealer.

You mentioned after dinner that it would not start. Did it attempt to start? Was it spinning over or did it make any sound at all? Starter clicking or anything?

As for the cooling, if you've found nothing plugged and you know it is actually hot then it could be that the circulator pump has failed. From what I understand the circulation water pump either works or it does not. I don't think you can do much with it except replace it.

But, if it won't start you need to have that checked first......so probably dealer is the best bet.

Just by saying your old impeller was not broken or torn pretty much tells you that you have a blockage in the cooling system.

Quote Originally Posted by LSM View Post
    Sounds like it may need to go back to the dealer or a dealer.

You mentioned after dinner that it would not start. Did it attempt to start? Was it spinning over or did it make any sound at all? Starter clicking or anything?

As for the cooling, if you've found nothing plugged and you know it is actually hot then it could be that the circulator pump has failed. From what I understand the circulation water pump either works or it does not. I don't think you can do much with it except replace it.

But, if it won't start you need to have that checked first......so probably dealer is the best bet.
    It fired but never started and finally tried to start and would not stay on, and then it sounded like it wasnt firing at all. I waited thinking it was flooded but still wouldnt start
    2006 Moomba Outback
    1600lbs balast