Thread: Taking on Water

Default Taking on Water

My 2001 Boomerang has been taking in water when I slow down from any cruising speed. Then I slow down let the bilge run awhile and keep driving. Does anyone have any ideas to what this is or how to stop it?

Default Water

I've had four separate water problems on the 99 outback.

1. rudder leak. corrected this with removal of floor and a few pumps of grease into grease fitting.

2. Shaft packing worn-out. Corrected this by repacking the gland nut with wax-impregnated rope packing from the dealer.
    Careful here---do not want to marr-up the prop shaft with tools during picking out old packing or tapping in new packing into the nut.

3. Packing nut backed-off by itself, steady stream of water leaking in. Solved this by snugging-up the packing gland nut with a pair of pipe wrenches to allow a drip or so of lubricating leakage every 15 to 30 seconds.

4. Water pump leak. I have a leak on the water pump shaft, just like you would on a car. The thing still cools, just leaks. I need to replace it, but have trouble finding the right marine version. Need a parts list from indmar or moomba

maybe this will help for the boomerang...

Brian Raymond Guest

Default Wet Boomer

Check out what catdog said. If all is good check this. The Boomerang had a thru-transom rudder outlet, this is a very low freeboard boat, make sure when cruisin' and suddenly slowing, the wake does not creep up on the transom, the rudder arm cover silicone may be gone and needs to be resealed. This is a big opening which goes straight to da bilge, just a suggestion. Brian Raymond

Default Replying to Topic 'Taking on Water'

hgjf