Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mechanic says I need new carburetor, I need advice

My mechanic tried the carb rebuild kit but says my Moomba now needs a new carb. I have a 2001 Outback with the Holley carb. 350 hours and I bought it used just a few months ago. Runs great at WOT but when I pull into the dock I get black smoke and it stalls. Running rich. So it does sound like a carburetor issue.

Question is, where do I find the right carburetor at the right price? Websites? Local auto parts place? Do I have to get the same carb? Also, I don't want to purchase at the marina at full price.

I am not very experienced with engines so whatever advice anyone can offer would be great.

Thanks,
    Brian

Default 2 or 4 barrel?

I don't have the boat with me, does anyone know if the stock carb is 2 or 4 barrel?

You may want to find the "right mechanic" at the right price. Someone who knows carbs should be able to fix the one you already have. Of course, with the hourly rate so high these days and the cost of carbs going down, it may be cheaper to buy a new one.

Shop around with a search on the internet "marine carb" will probably get you in the right direction.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Default new mechanic

I agree with Max, I'd check with another mechanic. Hard to believe you would need a new carb at 350 hours. Also I believe it is a 4 barrel.

The carb is definately a 4 barrel.Any decent "hot rod" mechanic should be able to rebuild a holley in about an hour.Make sure he replaces the power valve,that's probally the problem.
    jy

James is on the mark. Holley's are one of the easiest carbs to build. You could probubly do it yourself . Get a kit from Skidim any decent mechanic should be able to do it . It does sound like a blown power valve problem.

Really, blown power valve? I suppose that would be cheaper to fix than replacing the carburetor... He seemed so convincing about my carb spewing fuel and the butterfly valves being loose and yada yada... wish I knew where to find a good mechanic. I'm held hostage around here. And I want my d#$% boat back. I need to ski!!!

Thanks for the input. It is very much appreciated. Can't wait to win the lottery and buy brand new boat with EFI.

Yeah, to rebuild a 4 barrell Holley or Quadrajet is pretty simple. You could do it yourself within 2 hours easily. You could also buy a new one for good price if you shop around. My old boat had a Quadrajet 4 barrel. One thing I didn't like, it wouldn't start for awhile after running at WOT for a extended time.

Boy do I enjoy EFI. Boat starts up on the 1st crank every time.

Quote Originally Posted by graybmg View Post
    Really, blown power valve? I suppose that would be cheaper to fix than replacing the carburetor... He seemed so convincing about my carb spewing fuel and the butterfly valves being loose and yada yada... wish I knew where to find a good mechanic. I'm held hostage around here. And I want my d#$% boat back. I need to ski!!!

Thanks for the input. It is very much appreciated. Can't wait to win the lottery and buy brand new boat with EFI.
    The power valve is located under the front bowl. Look for a plate with 4 screws remove it then the power valve screws in the bowl. I recommend going through the whole carb. Then you know its right.

I wish I had the patience to find the "right" mechanic but my addiction to skiing has me probably buying the new carburetor. I can't wait long enough to find someone who can service my boat right now and I'd have to beg and borrow to get it towed somewhere else. It's just money, right? I'm not so sad since I got a good deal on it (thinking all along it needed a new carb) and it is 8 years old.

Thanks for everyone's two cents. See you on the lake!