Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Binding questions

So, Getting into slalom, free skiing only. I have an HO triumph with a single venom binding. It has been fun learning but I may have set myself back this past weekend.

A good buddy of mine who is a pretty good skier was out for the weekend and we were pushing each other. I was cutting very hard (for me) on my strong side and got over the front of the ski and crashed hard. Felt my front knee hyperextend and felt some mild pain. My foot stayed in the binding and hence the force to the knee.

What can be done to help assure you foot slides out of the binding in a hard crash? My binding is a large size and I'm a size 10 shoe. We use plenty of binding lubercant and the boot is pretty easy to slide into. Had ACL reconstruction 2 years ago and the knee has been great! Don't want to go through that again.
    Last edited by KurtL; 06-24-2009 at 12:06 AM. Reason: additional info
    2008 LS

There are many schools of thought on this. I have always skied with a RTP and have never had trouble releasing and I fall alot.

Howver some believe that skiing with double boots encourages both feet to stay in and that it actually reduces probablility of injur because you fall as a unit. Not sure I buy that.

There are some very expensive binding systems that are more like downhill ski bindings - normally only dual boots. Lots of investigation of systems required - and get out the check book.

I am not familiar with nor assocaited with any bindings, but here is an example of release bindings:
    http://www.reflexworld.com/index2.htm
    Last edited by BensonWdby; 06-24-2009 at 07:12 PM.
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

Smile

I agree with Benson about the different schools of thought. Is it better to pop out or stay in is usually going to go with what kinda boots you go with,ie doubles or with rtp. I prefer to have my boots snug for the fit sake and i do pay the price occasionally with ski staying on but i've gone the other way and been hurt a couple times as well.
    As for binding lube ,it usually get washed out probably before your even out of the water,so don't count on that happenening. I use it to get in then i want to stay in.
    I more believe find a boot that fits well,is comfortable and has good support,then you chose weathe its 1 boot or 2.

Sled491 Guest

I find regular boot lube washes out way to fast and for me this causes my feet to cramp. So about 3 yrs ago I started using Vasoline. Doesn't wash out, and so far hasn't harmed the boot. Some discoloration though.

I like it because it doesn't cause my feet to cramp and with todays High Wraps, I still plenty of feel and control over my ski. Don't get me wrong I've ripped muscles soo bad in my legs that they have been black and blue from mid butt to mid calf. Sometimes it's just the way you fall.

I have a buddy (big shot at Microsoft so no money issues) and he just loves his release bindings on his Gooddee.

I have a venom front binding and rear toe plate. I have a size 11 foot and the large venom and I come out no problem on any medium or hard fall. Haven't stayed in yet. I'm guessing maybe you tighten it really tight with the draw string? I typically don't - tighten it a bit but not too much. You can definitely start with that. IF you have a rear toe plate, you definitely want to be able to come out of that front binding. One foot in, one foot out is a recipe for injury.

Guys, thanks for the info. Volfo I have the exact set up. I have never pulled the draw strings, always leave them loose. Must have just been a freak fall. All I know is that its still alittle sore (the knee) and I don't want to do it again.

Anyone know of the name a good slalom instruction video to help develop good form/technique? Think it may be time to slow the boat to 29-31mph and work on it.
    2008 LS

Mike, I'm not a great skier by any means so someone else's opinion is probably better. But, I'm intrigued by this and have incorporated some of it from what I read in waterski mag and like it.

http://www.westcoastslalom.com/

Silly question here. If one was to go to a double boot set up would the rear boot be the same size or a size up? (easier to get into?).
    2008 LS

Smile

Same size.

Sled491 Guest

The rear boot is different but still the same size.