Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default KMT6 Owners ~ A Note From Kicker

I just saw this over on WakeWorld and figured i'd post this for everyone. Phil White a Kicker Rep posted this as a heads up ...

Hey Guys-
    For those of you who have purchased and are using Kicker KMT6 tower speakers, we have built a small batch recently that are actually TOO air-tight. They are so air-tight that when you get them out in the sun and the heat, the air inside them expands and pushes the midrange cones forward.

We have experience with and design for such a thing, particularly when we are dealing with synthetic injection-molded products. However in this instance, there are a few speakers that are out in the field being used that will still show symptoms of being totally sealed, and the midrange cones will push way forward, resulting in little or no sound from the midrange drivers.

The fix is extremely easy.

I have attached a picture showing where you can drill a VERY TINY hole on the side of one of the screw bossses that hold the front half and the back half of the enclosure together. We recommend a 0.7 mm hole. That size of a hole is extremely small, and is accomplished with a very tiny jeweler's or model maker's drill. The size is not super-critical, but you want to drill the smallest hole possible, and drill it at an angle to minimize or prevent water intrusion, as shown in the drawing. The hole location shown in the drawing is low enough to prevent any water issues in a typical installation, but if you have yours mounted differently, you may find that a different location is better for your needs. Another great option is for you to drill a tiny vent drilled right at the mating seam between the front half and the back half of the enclosure. The key is to have the hole somewhere on the bottom half of the enclosure as mounted.

If you have any questions at all, feel free to PM me, or post here.

Thanks guys!

Have a great safe summer

Phil
    Kicker
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 Mobius LSV

hey razz,
    what is your opinion on these speakers? anyone else as well?
    thanks

I think they are great, especially for what you get for the money. I wouldn't hesitate one bit putting these on my own boat.
    2007 Mobius LSV

I have them on my boat, and they sound fantastic. I think they would benefit from some sun protection, as some of the rubber is cracking. They still sound good, and I plan to send them back for replacement under warranty.

I have them and they are great!
    2008 Mobius LSV Blue and Black.

Use 303 Aerospace Protectant on them and you won't have sun issues.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Thanks for the info Razz. I haven't seen that with mine yet so maybe mine wont need the drill.

I like mine so fare but only had them on the water 1 time and im still working on getting the settings and position on the tower right.

They sound pretty sweet to me though.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

i have been looking and thinking about tower speakers, but i still have some questions that i have not been able to get comfortable with, i have looked at these, and they seem to be pretty good for the price, and they have pretty good reviews.
    for you who have the speakers,
    how far below the tower do they go?
    do you know what the height is from the floor to the speakers?
    then how about the height from the floor to the bottom of the Z5

i think i have my z5 raised as high as possible, but i still have to be careful walking under or i hit my head. i don't really want to lose any more space.

Quote Originally Posted by yearround View Post
    i have been looking and thinking about tower speakers, but i still have some questions that i have not been able to get comfortable with, i have looked at these, and they seem to be pretty good for the price, and they have pretty good reviews.
    for you who have the speakers,
    how far below the tower do they go?
    do you know what the height is from the floor to the speakers?
    then how about the height from the floor to the bottom of the Z5

i think i have my z5 raised as high as possible, but i still have to be careful walking under or i hit my head. i don't really want to lose any more space.
    I can measure my stuff to give you exact heights later but this is how mine sits.

Z5 i can walk under mine from the back of the boat to the front and not duck my head. From the Bow to the front i need to duck my head as i have my Z5 tilted slightly forward. I'm 5/9

Speakers are mounted to the rear bar and they are still above the Z5 so there not in the way at all. Now i spaced mine as fare to each side as possible because i like to walk into the boat from the sun deck and i always grab the tower for balance and with the space in the middle im able to step off the sun deck and not hit the speakers or my head.

In the picture my driveway is slanted to its a bit harder to see. But you can see the speakers are very close to the tower, and they are above the grab rail of the Z5.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    I can measure my stuff to give you exact heights later but this is how mine sits.

Z5 i can walk under mine from the back of the boat to the front and not duck my head. From the Bow to the front i need to duck my head as i have my Z5 tilted slightly forward. I'm 5/9
    ah, there is the problem, you are too short! i am 6'-2". i have the z5 as high as i can get it. i think if you can get the measurement from the tower to the bottom of the speaker can, that would be helpful. i can check the clearance then.