Thread: oil filter

Hybrid View

Default oil filter

I have a 99 outback ls. i'm curious to everyone's thoughts on oil change frequency. i put about 60 hrs a year on my boat. An indmar tec suggested to change in the spring and then late in the summer (around mid to end of aug).

Also this tec , when doing an oilchange uses a fram ph 13 filter which he says is bigger than the one he replacedand therefore more effectictive n efficient. i looked it up and its recommended for the 5.7 l police engines . Sounds reasonable to me.

Anyones thoughts on this?
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

We do an every 50 hour oil/filter and trany change. We are fortunate enough to get around 100 hrs in each summer so we look at a Spring & August fluid change. I am a synthetic nut so we use the matching Mobile to our 2000 Outback/LS Fram number. Can't see any reason the bigger filter would hurt though. Will keep my eye on this post as well to see what Moomba has to say.

Default Oil Filter

I have 99 Outback and I change the oil and filter in the engine every 30 hours. I use synthetic blend 15W-40 SJ/CG4 oil and Baldwin B-27 oil filter. I prefer not to use Fram filters. I believe Fram to be a less desirable filter than Baldwin. This is strictly a personal observation. I change the transmission oil every 60 hours. I bought a little vacuum pump from West Marine for $49.95 that easily removes the fluid from the transmission.
    Bobby

Default oil filters

I read a report on oil filters, it said Fram filters were poorly made and unreliable. Mobil 1 filters and Purolater were at the top of the list. i'll post the link if I can find it, but you can probably do your own search under "oil filter reviews" and see what comes up.