Default Voltage Regulator?

While on the lake yesterday, we had the engine off and the radio cranking pretty loud. All of a sudden I lost all electrical power to all of the switches to the right of the steering wheel, causing the music to go out.

We tried to start the boat for about 15 minutes, it would start and then sputter out. Finally it fired up and made it home. However the perfect pass was rebooting every minute or so. We turned on the radio at one point and all the gauges started bouncing all over the place.

While waiting for the truck to back the trailer in it stalled once. While in neutral the engine was revving from 600 up to 1200 RPM's.

I'm thinking it's the voltage regulator but would appreciate you guys' opinions.

If it is the voltage regulator is this independent or in the alternator? Where is it located? Should I buy a new one or rebuild?

Thanks
    04 XLV

Nobody has any opinions on this? Please!?!

I really don't want to take it to the dealer.
    04 XLV

di you check the battery for a voltage read directly on the batt with a portable meter. you probably drained it pretty well and it just woulld not run enough stuff to get you back working properly. How old is the battery ?
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

I seriously doubt it's the regulator, they just don't fail that often. Have you checked your battery voltage like JM said? Sitting and playing the tunes on a weak battery will do all kinds of havoc. Check all the connections for the battery.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Went to pull the battery and discovered on of the cables was loose. I tightened it up and thought that might have been the problem. Dropped it in the water and same issues

-engine revving in neutral up to 1200
    -Perfect pass rebooting every few minutes
    -gauges bouncing all over the place
    -ignition sequence (three beeps) works sometimes but others no beeps or 1 or two beeps
    -sometimes there is no power at all the the dash but starter still turns and boat fires up

What gives?
    04 XLV

whats the voltage? go buy a meter at the hardware store for 15 bucks. If the battery is low its going to need to be charged probably a trickle charge, but if its old might buy a new one.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

After "jiggling" the key I noticed the power to the dash was going in and out. I pulled the assembly out and found one of the three wires completely disconnected. I looked down and 2 inches from my foot was the screw. 5 minutes later it was in the water....good as new

Thanks for the help guys.
    04 XLV