Thread: Squealing noise

Default Squealing noise

I have a 02 outback DD and I am getting the normal squealing noise that happens in reverse in forward at around 25 mph. It only happens for a couple seconds then quits. Does anyone know what that might be? Is it that seal going bad?

Not to be insulting but have you checked the tranny fluid?
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Check your belts, you probably have one slightly loose.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Not to be insulting but have you checked the tranny fluid?
    When i first heard the noise i stoped and checked everything and it all looked good. Fluids, belts.

Try checking your stuffing box packing. Cheap and easy.

At 90 hours, my DD '06 LS drivetrain made a funny squeeling/vibe sound that appeared to come and go while making left turns. I tightened up the packing nut (totally loose), and that solved the issue for the rest of last summer. I theorized the packing ring was causing some sort of harmonic sound as it was being buzzed by the driveshaft?? Who knows. I did check the tranny fluid - the level was right between the lines, and the rest of the driveline checked out ok. Either way, after a hand-tightening of the packing nut, no more squeeling sound.

Fast forward to this season:

I just re-packed the stuffing box, and when I spun off the packing nut, the first ring of packing just fell out. Since re-packing (and a few adjustments to ensure the packing didn't run hot) I have no wierd sounds - or leaks Re-packing takes 30 minutes, and should be considered an annual ritual - it's that easy. I used the 1/4" square type PTFE stuff, which looked identical to what came out of the "box". VDrives may require a diff. size - check for yourself to make sure you get the right stuff.

The tech guys at your dealer (or SC) can provide you with the factory procedure on how to re-pack the box. A good read for any do-it-yourselfer. Just monitor the nut as you run the boat for the first day, as you may (as I did) have to back off on the nut to allow enough water in there to ensure cool running of the box (and a drip about 1 or 2 per minute?). SC claims their set up procedure practically guarantees a leak free packing, and cool running! There's various opinions on how much your stuffing box should weep, but as long as it runs cool, or slightly warmer than water temp, you should be good to go. Don't wanna burn up the packing on your first outing. Oh, and make sure your locking nut is securely fastened against the packing nut. If not, when you run reverse (assuming you're LH rotation), you could spin the nut right off. Your stuffing box would really be weeping at that point!

Good luck tracking down the gremlin.

Quote Originally Posted by cgriebs View Post
    Try checking your stuffing box packing. Cheap and easy.

At 90 hours, my DD '06 LS drivetrain made a funny squeeling/vibe sound that appeared to come and go while making left turns. I tightened up the packing nut (totally loose), and that solved the issue for the rest of last summer. I theorized the packing ring was causing some sort of harmonic sound as it was being buzzed by the driveshaft?? Who knows. I did check the tranny fluid - the level was right between the lines, and the rest of the driveline checked out ok. Either way, after a hand-tightening of the packing nut, no more squeeling sound.

Fast forward to this season:

I just re-packed the stuffing box, and when I spun off the packing nut, the first ring of packing just fell out. Since re-packing (and a few adjustments to ensure the packing didn't run hot) I have no wierd sounds - or leaks Re-packing takes 30 minutes, and should be considered an annual ritual - it's that easy. I used the 1/4" square type PTFE stuff, which looked identical to what came out of the "box". VDrives may require a diff. size - check for yourself to make sure you get the right stuff.

The tech guys at your dealer (or SC) can provide you with the factory procedure on how to re-pack the box. A good read for any do-it-yourselfer. Just monitor the nut as you run the boat for the first day, as you may (as I did) have to back off on the nut to allow enough water in there to ensure cool running of the box (and a drip about 1 or 2 per minute?). SC claims their set up procedure practically guarantees a leak free packing, and cool running! There's various opinions on how much your stuffing box should weep, but as long as it runs cool, or slightly warmer than water temp, you should be good to go. Don't wanna burn up the packing on your first outing. Oh, and make sure your locking nut is securely fastened against the packing nut. If not, when you run reverse (assuming you're LH rotation), you could spin the nut right off. Your stuffing box would really be weeping at that point!

Good luck tracking down the gremlin.
    I have 88 hours on my DD, and come to think of it it the noise did happen making left turns. I am pretty sure you nailed it on the head. I do seem to take on allot of water. thanks

cgriebs, if this works out for jjerrod you will have the satisfaction of knowing you helped someone who is extremely deserving and goes the extra mile for others in the Moomba family.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!