Thread: Kicker mx700.5

Default Kicker mx700.5

I'm just curious to know how many speakers you can run on this amp? I have 10 (6.5) and 2 (8in subs). Is that too much? Because my amp keeps going into protective mode. Any help?

There are 3 likely reasons that it will be going into protect:

Impedance
    Heat
    Short Circuit

I'd guess that you've got a combination of the first 2. What impedance are your speakers, and how do you have them wired? Generally your amp will heat up pretty quick if you are running a low impedance.

I have a Kicker ZX700.5 in my boat; I have 4x 6.5" Polks (4ohm - 1 speaker to each channel) and 2 12" L7s (wired in parallel to 2 ohms) and haven't had a problem with it going into protection mode.
    2013 Outback V

Thanks for a quick reply

I have 3-6.5 polks on the right side wired to one channel and the same on the left side wired to another channel and the tower has 2-6.5 polks on right wired to one channel and the same for the left. Then I have the 2-8in solo braic on the 5th channel. Does that sound like to much?

Default Heat...

You're dropping the Ohm level to almost 1, which will cause it to heat up and protect itself REALLY quick. Basically Each speaker is 4 ohms, and you're running 3 of them.... 4ohms divided by 3 is 1.33333...Etc.. the Amp is only rated for a minimum of 2 ohms. anything less will heat it up really quick.

I have 2 Amps, a 350.4 and the 700.5

the 350.4 goes into protection mode first, then followed by the 700.5... It was solved by installing a fan in the compartment that blows air right across them. Switched on by a relay that controls the fan, and both amps. That relay is controlled by the Amp output on the Deck.

the impedance on the 350 is 2uhms, and the 700 is 4 ohms, which would follow what was just said about Lower impedance causing the amp to heat up. not to mention it's 100 plus here in Sacramento...
    Last edited by drewsky; 06-30-2009 at 01:30 PM.

Where did u get your fans and what kind did u get

thanks

there is a post on her on how to run the cabins and the bow speakers togethet to get an accepatble ohm level.

It was newty try this, very clever to use one amp or put the bow speakers on the Head unit.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=8228
    Last edited by jmvotto; 06-30-2009 at 01:46 PM.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

It usally takes 3 to 4 hours before it goes into pm and thats running it at about 50-65% volume constantly. Is that normal?

I would definately re-wire the speakers to lower the impedance - your really pushing the limits of the amp, and the solution is easy enough, and free.

I'm going to break this into parts - first off, the brunt of your issue is likely with the subs, but we'll get to that in a minute.

Here are some options for your Polk's:
    Option 1:
    Remove the bow speakers from being wired to the amp and wire them directly to the head unit. Leave the tower speakers as is.

Option 2:
    Wire the cabin speakers in series, with the bow speakers parallel to that (diagram in post above: hook Speaker 1 negative to amp negative, Speaker 1 positive to Speaker 2 negative. Speaker 2 positive to Speaker 3 positive. Hook Speaker 3 negative to amp negative (same as Speaker 1 negative).

Repeat the same process with the other sides 3 speakers.

The diagram really makes it much easier to understand, not that hard at all.

***Credit to "newty" for the diagram!

Doing this will change the load on each channel to 2ohms.

Now about your subs:
    The Kicker Solos are dual voice coil speakers, with either dual 2 ohm coils, or dual 4 ohm coils.

Chances are yours are dual 4 ohm coils, which means that if each coil is wired in parallel, and the speakers are both wired in parallel, you are giving the amp a 1 ohm load - which is too low. The easiest fix for this (and how I have my 12" L7's wired to my 700.5) is to wire them in series: Speaker 1 negative to amp negative, Speaker 1 positive to Speaker 2 negative, Speaker 2 positive to amp positive. This will give you a 4 ohm load, which will keep the amp temps nice a low.

If your subs are dual 2 ohm then you will want to wire the same as above, but you'll see a 2 ohm load, which will drive the amp a little harder, but not beyond the reccomended minimum impedance.
    2013 Outback V

I am currently running all six factory cabin speakers and one 10" Rockford Fosgate on this amp and haven't had any problems. Sounds great.I wouldn't recommend any more than that. In my opinion you are pushing that amp way to hard. Maybe try turning down the gain a bit. But most likely you won't be satisfied with the sound. I have a set of wet sounds pro 60's I was trying to run with this amp along with the sub and had the same problem that you have. Problem was the wet sounds speakers require more watts than this amp can throw at it, so it would always end up in PM because of the strain I put on it. I would recommend getting a four channel amp to run half of you 6" speakers and use the 700.5 to run the rest of the 6" along with the subs. That should help put less strain on the amp. If you have the $, the best way to go would be two four channel amps to run your 6" speakers and a two channel amp to run your subs. I learned the hard way. Just my opinion, hope it helps.

Thanks for the help. I will use the diagram