Default Boat will not come out of neutral

I have a 05 LSV. I was pulling a wakeboarder and when I went to pull him out of the water the boat made a load noise and game out of gear. The boat will not go into gear now. The trans fluid looks clean and the trans cable is still intact. My friend pulled the dip stick for the gear box and it was dry with what appeared to be burnt material. Does any one know what happened and can I fix it without specialized tools?
    Last edited by pszuba25; 06-15-2009 at 10:43 PM.

pszuba,

I unfortunately have no idea how to fix your boat.

I noticed you are in Crown Point. I am in Schererville and ride Cedar Lake a lot. Where are you riding?

Pine Crest on Cedar Lake has done some work for me in the past and I have been fine with their service. Unfortunately our closest dealer is in Volo, IL on the other side of Chicago.
    04 XLV

I ride on double tree lake. It is a private lake near Lake of the Four Seasons.

Dry with burnt material???? Was the "material" liquid or a solid?

If the dipstick was dry, there is a great chance that you have been running with too little fluid. This will cause your friction material in the transmission to overheat, breakdown, and then quite working. The fluid cools and routes the fluid through a filter to keep material from destroying the insides of your transmission. The more material you have in the fluid, the faster it destroys the remaining material.

First, you need to find out why the fluid was low and where the fluid went. Odds are, you need to take it to a dealer that works on inboards. Call skidim, they may be able to point you in the right direction.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

V-drive boats have a transmission that uses ATF Dextron III fluid and a v-drive gearbox that uses SAE 30 oil. Sounds like your trans is ok but your v-drive was run low on oil.

I sure wish I could ride on a private lake near four seasons.........?
    04 XLV

The oil in the v drive unit is separate from the fluid in your transmission.

Can you select forward and reverse? or is it simply stuck in neutral and will not shift forward or backward?