Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default my new prop choice

I recently picked up a new prop for my 03 OB. I was using an OJ 13x13 4 blade (came on the boat). I picked up a new OJ 13x13 3 blade.

I really like my new 3 blade vs 4. I noticed the difference right off the trailer. When I put the boat in gear it would idle at a faster speed. On the top end is better, brought my rpms down to 4600 instead of 4900-5000 (would be on the Rev limiter).

The hole shot i didn't notice much difference or at least nothing that a little more throttle couldn't take care of.

I should clarify that i run a light boat compared to the wakeboard crowd. No ballast for me, just a full tank of gas. I'm more traditional skier/general use than wakeboard.

I'll keep my 4 blade for a spare, or if i decide to run the boat heavier.
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer

I wakeboard and surf using the 3 blade 13x13 OJ and it's great. I have an extra one in a box in the garage if you nick yours and want to swap for the 4blade one. I usually run a lot of people plus ballast so I wouldn't mind the 4 blade. I used to have one before my little mishap last July. The shop ordered the 3 blade b/c that's what goes on on Outback in the specs.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I just bought and installed the new OJ XMP 3 blade, 13 x 11.5 last week. I was running a 4 blade 13x 13.5 stainless steel. I can honestly say I wished I'd done it soon. Holeshot is much better and I gained some much needed top end speed. The boat even handles better. This is a great prop for anyone looking for another.

Monty
    2001 Outback LS

" Son, I'm Captain Jack Sparrow "

I have an 06 LSV that I just bought this spring. I ran it a lot this past week and I think I'd like to try a different prop.

I'm not sure what pitch mine is but it is the factory 4 blade for an 06 LSV.

My top end is not much over 35 if any at all. The boat drinks alot of gas cruiz'n at 28 to 30 mph.

I know the boat is WB boat but right now my kids are small. What is a good prop for a 06 LSV that will lower RPM's a bit, maybe give me a little more on top end for cruiz'n and still pull small kids, and me every now and then.

Will the 3 blade you all mention do the trick for the LSV?

Quote Originally Posted by LSM View Post
    I have an 06 LSV that I just bought this spring. I ran it a lot this past week and I think I'd like to try a different prop.

I'm not sure what pitch mine is but it is the factory 4 blade for an 06 LSV.

My top end is not much over 35 if any at all. The boat drinks alot of gas cruiz'n at 28 to 30 mph.

I know the boat is WB boat but right now my kids are small. What is a good prop for a 06 LSV that will lower RPM's a bit, maybe give me a little more on top end for cruiz'n and still pull small kids, and me every now and then.

Will the 3 blade you all mention do the trick for the LSV?

The best place to start is going to be to figure out what it has for a prop now. It should say on the prop. Mine had a part number on the side. Otherwise you can remove the nut that holds the prop on and should say the size and pitch. The markings are under the nut, you don't need to remove the prop. (first number is diameter size X Second number is pitch)

From what i read about props the vdrives still performed best with a 4 blade. Maybe a different pitch for you would help. Hopefully other people can help out here.
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer

Payson , Arizona/Arvada , Colorado/Montana

Default Prop

Well first of all, what is the max rpm you are running? Then where is the wake plate set at? How loaded is the boat? An 06 should have the cable throttle , you can check that to see if it is opening all the way ( engine not running and air cleaner off) . After that info what are the numbers on the prop? They are stamped on the prop by the nut on the shaft. I run a 13.7 x 16 acme prop 4 blade and it works great. I had a 13.7 x 17.7 oj ( factory) prop on it and had to prop down in pitch to get the boat to perform well at this altitude ( 5280' ) . Post your findings and maybe we can help. Jim .
    05 Mobius lsv , ballast system , stereo, etc..

Payson , Arizona/Arvada , Colorado/Montana

Default prop

Well after reading your post again it sounds like you might have a low pitched prop. Let us know. Jim.
    05 Mobius lsv , ballast system , stereo, etc..

I can't really say what runs best on the V-drives. Mine is DD. I was a little concerned about the 11.5 pitch on my new one but after talking to OJ and Discount Inboard Marine they assured me it was better than the older 13x13. They were right.

Monty
    2001 Outback LS

" Son, I'm Captain Jack Sparrow "

Thanks for the comments.

I've been busy the past week or so and haven't had a chance to check back with you guys on my prop research......

I haven't removed the nut yet to check the prop specifications. I plan to do that soon. I'm ready to hit the water again this weekend!

To answer a few questions:

I usually run the boat with 2 to 4 adults and 2 small children. (700 lbs max), plus a few boards and tool box. I consider that a fairly light load.

No ballast or fat sacks or anything like that.

Looking at my Perfact Pass, I'm running 26 -28 mph at 2800-2900 RPM's while cruising the lake. Mostly sight seeing and enjoying the lake.

The boat runs great. It just seems to use a lot of gas. I can leave the lake house with a full tank and travel 21 miles at 26-28 mph. As I return to the house the needle is a little above a half a tank.

I do know the needle is off a bit to the low side so I'm looking at burning at least a 1/3 of tank a gas or more on that one trip. That may be normal.....since that is a decent ride.....

I'm just thinking their may a better prop choice until my kids get a little older and really get into wakeboarding.....

Like I said, I'll have more info soon.......

Thanks guys...

Default Fuel gauge

Fill your tank, run your boat and fill your tank. See how many gallons you are using to refill it compared to the size of your tank. Your gauge may be way off, mine is.

I have a 31 gallon tank. When the needle hits "E", I fill up with 12-14 gallons, meaning I have a lot of gas left.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier