Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sad skiing tragedy

A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Lost his balance and got caught in the ski rope. Wonder if his head hit the ski? That's just sad.

I don't know how close we came to being part of a story on Sat. A group with about 8-10 people set up on the beach along the Flint River on Sat. They put up a shade tent and had a little boat and two waverunners. They had about 30-40 gallons of gas in 5 gallon cans sitting in the shade under the tent. Right in front of these tanks they had set up lawn chairs in the shade (it was 95 out). We were beached right next to them and the kids were playing in the sand and in the water. I looked over there and noticed about a 20 y/o gal sitting in one of the chairs enjoying a smoke. I walked over there and asked her to avoid putting my boat and kids in danger. She looked at me dumbfounded. I said, "The explosion from that much gas will hit everybody on this beach." She stubbed it out in the sand. We got the heck out of there though.

Edit: I also recall that the breeze was blowing in from the water past her and toward the gas cans.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Default More on John O'Neill

I have this info from a pretty reliable source:

Disabled skier, John O'Neill (54) was running the slalom course at 32 mph when he had a fall and his head most likely went through the handle bridle. John was killed instantly when the rope came tight.

John was a one armed skier who would put his arm through the handle and grab his vest. The pull from the boat would transfer to his elbow. In this way he was able to ski well and was ranked #2 nationally in his division.

If anyone wants to send their sympathies to Darrell and Crystal and to the family of John O'Neill you can email Darrell at: [email protected]. Darrell will forward the emails to the O'Neill family.

Our hearts go out to the freinds and family of John.
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

Thanks for the info. So sorry to hear this.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

There is a push to alter the slalom handle so that this cannot happen. Last year champion slalom skier Brett Yeager was killed in Acapulco, Mexico at Gordon Rathbun's Ski Paradise when he fell and his head fell into the handle at 38 mph.
    2007 Mobius LSV

I suppose you could put some kind of webbing in the V so nothing bigger than your fingers could get through.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Bensonwdby,

Thanks for putting that out there. I saw this locally and was shocked that it had happened.

joe
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    I suppose you could put some kind of webbing in the V so nothing bigger than your fingers could get through.
    very good idea--could almost be solid-except for about 3" in front of the actuall handle--fingers only would fit.

Good job telling that girl to put out the smoke.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Thanks! I try to be alert about what's going on around me. I couldn't help but notice they had about 6 full new red gas cans. Then I saw her smoking. And I really don't have it in for people who smoke or anything like that. I like a decent cigar a few times a year. But I couldn't believe anyone could be that stupid. I think she was the same one who a few minutes before that rode the waverunner 15 feet up onto the beach. It took 3 guys to drag it back to the water. Could have busted her neck hitting the beach at that speed. Like I said, we got out of there. If they are that stupid the best thing to do is steer clear of them.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Lost his balance and got caught in the ski rope. Wonder if his head hit the ski? That's just sad.

I don't know how close we came to being part of a story on Sat. A group with about 8-10 people set up on the beach along the Flint River on Sat. They put up a shade tent and had a little boat and two waverunners. They had about 30-40 gallons of gas in 5 gallon cans sitting in the shade under the tent. Right in front of these tanks they had set up lawn chairs in the shade (it was 95 out). We were beached right next to them and the kids were playing in the sand and in the water. I looked over there and noticed about a 20 y/o gal sitting in one of the chairs enjoying a smoke. I walked over there and asked her to avoid putting my boat and kids in danger. She looked at me dumbfounded. I said, "The explosion from that much gas will hit everybody on this beach." She stubbed it out in the sand. We got the heck out of there though.

Edit: I also recall that the breeze was blowing in from the water past her and toward the gas cans.
    I guess you have never watched Mythbusters or ever threw a lit cig into gas before? Gas needs a spark or open flame not heat alone.