Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

It's a weight and stress issue on the tower. Pulling a tube from the tower puts a load of side load upon it that it wouldn't ordinarily get. In fact almost all mfgrs tell you not to and some will void warrenties on the tower and any gel damage incurred. I know a guy that did it for the same reason and cracked a tower weld on his new boat, factory said nope.

While some will argue that it equals the weight of a boarder, the boarder offers a lot less resistence and that's what cracks them or creates stress cracks.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    While some will argue that it equals the weight of a boarder, the boarder offers a lot less resistence and that's what cracks them or creates stress cracks.
    Yep. It's not even the weight of the boarder as much as the maximum resistance that can be offered. With a boarder, it's only as strong as the rider's arms. With a tube, it as much force as the tube can exert if it gets caught behind a wake, even just for a moment. It can launch two full-grown adults 10+ feet straight up in the air (I've done this). That is a huge impulse, and much more than a boarder could possibly muster via his arms.

The "only as strong as the boarder's arms" makes a lot of sense. I saw the warning on the tower in the past but thought it was just a typical overzealous CYA.

Thanks folks!

Remove it I did it got me in rear to many times and lots of other fokes hurting them selfes it does nothing different to the boat just saves your ass!!
    08 XLV

Sorry for the lack of update on the retractable pylon, I started a new ballast project this week and jumped projects for now. Swinging by my dealer this weekend and will ask him about it. Gotta say tho, If I have to cut into the box frame the engine sits in to make it work, I prob won't do this. Don't want to get that involved for a retractable and will prob just pull it when needed.
    Lance Saville

2009 Mobius LSV