Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Cool you can remove the ski pylon!

Was looking at my motor yesterday and noticed theres a bolt that appears to hold the ski pylon in it's bracket, it LOOKS like I could remove the bolt, pull the pylon, and put the bolt back in place without the pylon.

Now to say, I don't ski - at all, (not since I was like 10 anyway) and neither does my fiancee or anyone I know other than my mom who's in her 50's and has yet to set foot on the boat and hasn't skiied in a couple years anyway. We wakeboard, surf, and tube and that's plenty, all respect to anyone who loves skiing, but it's just not our thing. That said, back to the point...

So I'm thinking I can pull out the pylon, which would make my fiancee and her friends very happy so three of the girls can lay out on the sundeck when we're stopped (which I have ZERO problem with makes the boat look even better) without anyone hitting their head on the pylon, and I'm thinking I could just keep it and the wrench on the boat in case anyone ever does want to ski, but for the most part we use the grab handle above the swim platform for tubes (hope that's what it's for haha) and the tower for wakeboard and surfing, so no use really for the ski pylon.

So am I seeing right? Does it come out without weakening anything structurally? Anyone done this? Think I'm gonna pull it next weekend.
    Last edited by lancesaville; 06-14-2009 at 09:32 PM.
    Lance Saville

2009 Mobius LSV

Lance,

Keep the pylon in to tube from or use the rear lifting eye bolts. don't tube from the tower unless very small children going slow

my .02
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Don't forget the karma issue of pulling out a ski pylon. It's in there for a reason and if you pull it out... bad things may happen.

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    Lance,

Keep the pylon in to tube from or use the rear lifting eye bolts. don't tube from the tower unless very small children going slow

my .02
    no no, i think you mis-read me JM, we pull tube from the grab handle above the swim platform, there's a ring for it in the middle of the handle, i would NEVER pull tube from the tower, that would make it WAY too easy to tump over on turns. Here's a pic of the handle....

As far as karma, what like I come out one morning and theres a slalom ski through the windshield of the boat ?! LOL like the ski-gods are angry for defiling a tourney boat, now if it was a direct-drive, i'd actually kinda be scared of that
    Lance Saville

2009 Mobius LSV

Lance, I see, i don't have one of those fancy smancy grab handles . good to know you tube from back there. Now you have an extra beverage hodler on the sun deck....
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by lancesaville View Post
    no no, i think you mis-read me JM, we pull tube from the grab handle above the swim platform, there's a ring for it in the middle of the handle, i would NEVER pull tube from the tower, that would make it WAY too easy to tump over on turns. Here's a pic of the handle....

As far as karma, what like I come out one morning and theres a slalom ski through the windshield of the boat ?! LOL like the ski-gods are angry for defiling a tourney boat, now if it was a direct-drive, I'd actually kinda be scared of that
    The ski-gods are already pissed about this whole v-drive thing, so you never know. If only I could have all that room and keep the DD charistics... Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    Lance, I see, i don't have one of those fancy smancy grab handles . good to know you tube from back there. Now you have an extra beverage hodler on the sun deck....
    Yeah I think they added them for 09, I was surprised myself the first time I noticed it, keeps the tow center of gravity real low for the tubes, now that video I posted under wakesurfing the other day, we were using the ski pylon instead of the handle to pull tube cuz my buddy is an idiot and wanted to do it from the tower for big air so we compromised and he lived to make it to work in one piece the next day. Other than that one time tho we've solely used the grab handle for tube and the tower for wake/surf so I'm thinking it will make a good beverage holder too
    Lance Saville

2009 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Waynes345 View Post
    The ski-gods are already pissed about this whole v-drive thing, so you never know. If only I could have all that room and keep the DD charistics... Oh well.
    Yeah it def doesn't zig and zag on a dime like a DD but we love the room, we like to test the capacity recommendations on occasion I've not noticed it slide in a hard turn yet, but still doesn't have that 'on rails' feeling my buddys 98 ski nau-tank had.
    Lance Saville

2009 Mobius LSV

Actually I thought I had heard if you remove the pylon you will get a leak where the pylon was - something to do with structural integrity....
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

Quote Originally Posted by BensonWdby View Post
    Actually I thought I had heard if you remove the pylon you will get a leak where the pylon was - something to do with structural integrity....
    Might be on DD's but the pocket the pylon sits in has nothing under it, it's a square tube of forged aluminum with the pylon sitting in it. I'll prob just check w/ my dealer to be sure and see what they say, I'm sure they've removed/replaced one at some point or another.
    Lance Saville

2009 Mobius LSV