Default how do remotes work

Anybody know how these things work?

I was getting some "buzz" in my wetsounds. Thinking that it might be a ground loop or power issue, I re-ran the power to my head unit and eq direct to my battery. red and yellow/brown wire on the head. and also ran the grounds direct to the battery.

Not only did it not fix the "buzz" but my remotes stopped working. When i put the power and ground back where they were, the remote work again..
    2007 LSV

Are you talking about remote wire connected to the amp? or a remote control?

ABC,

Remote controls simply hardwire the pulse commands into the same circuit that receives the infrared target output. The pulses are identical.

A typical hardwired remote has a power, ground, data (same as IR pulses) and illumination. A Kenwood or supporting brand, non-display remote gets its supply and ground external to the headpiece.

So the remote cannot be the cause of noise unless something is wired seriously wrong.

To close a ground loop, the source electronics (EQ included) should reference the ground terminals (as close as you can get) of the largest amplifier which in turn is connected to the battery, engine block, etc. This is your focal point.

David
    Earmark Marine

David.. thanks for the info.. I didnt think the remotes were causing the noise. i was just curious why they stopped working when i re-routed the power and ground going to the head. I made no changes to the blue signal wire or the power going to the remotes.
    2007 LSV

Which remotes are you speaking of? Sub remotes, head unit remote, etc?

As far as the buzz, your amp and your head unit should be grounded to the same thing, and preferably connected to the same power source.

I've installed stereos on 2 08 LSVs and in both cases the stereo on/off switch was the source of the noise in the system.

Quote Originally Posted by brain_rinse View Post
    I've installed stereos on 2 08 LSVs and in both cases the stereo on/off switch was the source of the noise in the system.

How did you fix this. Did you just bypass the switch or let it be??

Quote Originally Posted by insanepolack View Post
    How did you fix this. Did you just bypass the switch or let it be??
    I bypassed the switch for testing and eliminated the noise, but hooked it back up for now. I plan to rewire the switch directly off the accessory battery (dedicated wires), but haven't taken the time to pull the wires yet.

Sweet, I have been kicking myself and pulling hairs trying to get that buzz to go away. Never thought about the switch being the problem. I hope thats the same case with my 2004 Outback.