Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Preference...hose to the inlet of VDrive.. I added a water hose shutoff at the adapter......no driveway mess while not running.
    2014 Mojo Surf
    2013 Mojo Sold
    2010 LSV Sold
    2002 OB LSV Sold

Alright guys, just got the transmission cooler off and flushed out. There was a few things in there, some weeds and a small stick. Not too much though, how much would it take to plug it up enough to heat up?

I did go ahead and build a plunger for right now, I'll end up building the other one too and decide which is best.

THANKS!

Quick Update: As I mentioned above I did get a little debris out of the transmission cooler, I don't think it would be enough to restrict the water flow to the point of it getting hot, but I'm not real sure.

I have taken all the intake lines off of the boat and everything is clear, no blockages. I started it up and ran it for about 15 - 20 minutes and the temperature gauge never went above 150ish. However, I'm not sure how long it would take to warm up, I would have left it on longer but my oil pressure gauge was bouncing around 60 - 80 then started to bounce enough to spike and finally staying above 80, which is the highest the gauge goes. I shut it down after about 3-5 seconds of it resting above 80. What would cause this? I'm wondering if I didn't have the plunger seated well enough or if that would matter? Could I have bumped something in the process of pulling hoses that would cause this?

Now it seems I have two problems and still need help with both, do I just go try a lake test and see how it performs or am I missing something? Looking forward to hearing some suggestions. THANKS!

How fast were you running the engine?
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Engine was at idle, I never sped it up at all. Went back about 30 minutes later and turned the key on and the gauge was still pegged? Any chance a knocked a wire off of the switch? Let me know. THANKS.

Tap on those gauges if they are reading odd first. Hate to say it, but sometimes they settle back in with a knuckle bump.

OK, wiggled some wires around down near the transmission cooler and the gauge un-pegged. Must have a bare wire down there, not a huge deal. Just shook it somemore and now the gauge is stuck at 0. Any idea where the switch/sensor that controls this gauge is located at?

Now just need to know how long it should take for the engine to heat up above 160 at idle. I can not throw the engine in gear without actually being in the water correct? The shaft has to be fully submerged so the seal gets wet I am assuming?

Just ran the boat at idle for 1 hour, engine cover shut, no wind & about 95 degrees air temperature. Took about 15 minutes to climb to 160 but never passed 180. I assume this would mean that it is working correctly? I never throttled the engine above idle. Please let me know your thoughts, would like to get it on the water tomorrow night.

By the way, I really appreciate all of your guys' help on this, it's saving me a ton I'm sure. THANKS!
    Last edited by dereklschmidt; 06-16-2009 at 07:15 PM.

How long after it warmed to 160 did it run?

It ran for about 40 - 45 minutes after it got to 160.

that was ample time to overheat, and if it would heat up to too hot in that time frame before you inspected and cleaned out the system, and you have now ran it and it didnt heat up like before, I would say you are good to go.