Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Yeah, that's kind of what I am thinking, only part I couldn't really test is actually putting it in gear to see if that had anything to do with it. Going to try and do a lake test tonight so we'll see how it goes. I'll let everyone know. THANKS!

STILL NEED HELP!!!

Well guys, just got back from the lake, 20 minute run and it was up to 200-220 again. I really need to figure this thing out. Why does it heat up when I have the boat in gear? It sat for an hour out of gear at idle last night and never climbed above 180. Someone please shine some light on this for me PLEASE! THANKS>

I would sure change out the thermostat and make sure that it is not clogged.

I did replace the impeller before this all started hapening. I'm pretty sure there is only one way the to install the impeller, however, I did forget to replace the seal, how much would this matter?

Also, how does the thermostat work on this engine, I read somewhere that stated it opened at 160 degrees, if this is the case then I would believe that the thermostat could be the problem.

Is there a way to tell if the thermostat is bad once you pull it out? THANKS
    Last edited by dereklschmidt; 06-18-2009 at 08:51 AM.

You dont have any leaks around the impeller right?

Was the old impeller in good shape or was it wore completely down?

It sounds like the previous owner had the same problem, and maybe was guessing at the impeller.

The thermostat sits in its housing at the top of the engine and is spring loaded with a copper element. As the engine heats up, the copper heats and the spring loses tension at the designed temperature, in our case 160F.

One way to test it is to remove it and place it in a pot of water on the stove, and using a thermometer raise the temperature to 160 and gradually raise from there, and ensure that it is opening.

If it looks corroded, chances are it was sticking or not fully opening. Thermostats are inexpensive to replace, and as well there are chances that the thermostat or housing has debris in it.

When I pulled the thermostat out, it looked old and kind of rusty so I rinsed it and put it back in, there could be a good chance that it is bad. Going to replace it, just hope I can get one near by, they are cheap but overnight shipping is not.

I didn't see or feel any leaks around the impeller when the engine was on, I may pull the cover back off and replace the seal just in case, that's easy enough to do.

Thanks again for all your help!

Quote Originally Posted by dereklschmidt View Post
    When I pulled the thermostat out, it looked old and kind of rusty so I rinsed it and put it back in, there could be a good chance that it is bad. Going to replace it, just hope I can get one near by, they are cheap but overnight shipping is not.

I didn't see or feel any leaks around the impeller when the engine was on, I may pull the cover back off and replace the seal just in case, that's easy enough to do.

Thanks again for all your help!
    As long as you know the temp for the thermostat (or part #) you can get tehm at any autoparts store. Nothing special about them.

I'm having the exact same problem. I changed the impeller looked at the lines, etc. I have taken my thermostat off and tested it in hot water and it is opening but I'm not sure if it is all the way. Since I already have it all apart I'm going to go ahead and put a new one in there. I'll let you know what I find out.

BTW, I do have a clear strainer and it is pumping water but I'm not sure of how much the flow should be. Someone told me that I should be able to put my hand on the exhaust for a couple of seconds before taking it off.

Yeah, please let me know what you find out, I'm going to replace my thermostat but the weather doesn't sound like it's going to allow me to get the boat on the water anywhere in the next few days. Thanks.

Ok, I got the boat on the water with the new impeller and thermostat and had the same problem. I checked everything and the only thing I can come up with is the water pump/circulating pump. I took off the big hose that goes from the pump to the thermostat housing and had my wife start the engine. No water at all came out of the hose even thought there was still water in it. I assume that that has to be the problem. So I will tackle that next. I'll let you know what I find.