Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hole in transom

Default hole in transom

I'm in the process of installing some lights on my swim platform.. I need to run some power through the transom to power them. What kind of thru-hull fitting should i use? ideally, the hole will be right next to where the platform attaches to the transom.

Since you are below the water line, you will need a water tight through the hull connector so I would check with a marine parts store. They are common in the ship's hold between bulkheads
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

When i did install my Abyss Lights, I drilled a very small hole for the wire to go through. I used Marine silicone/sealant to plug up the hole. When i lake tested the lights, I looked very hard at the spot were the wire came through. NO leaks.
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings
    Live life to the extreme and no less!!

tazz.. that was my initial plan, but it just seemed too cheap and easy. my second plan was to install some sort of waterproof plug in the transom, but that seemed kinda complex and expensive... I was hoping for some 3rd option.

I think I'll probably go with plan 1. if the boat starts to sink, i'll just fill it back up with epoxy.

I would look for a thru hull connector, as mentioned above. Ill look around fast and see if I can find you one and post back.

Here is one idea. Use this thru hull fitting to run your wires through, and you can fill it slap up with silicone. http://www.boatfix.com/shop3/store/l...arch=23-665423
    Last edited by gcnettl; 06-09-2009 at 08:52 PM.

I found this power plug for a Cannon underwater camera, but i cannot find a female connector for it. Might be worth looking into.
    http://www.diguniverse.com/MARINE-AN...ERS/33706.html

this looks like the one i need

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...ct.do?pid=8925

but that is still a much bigger hole than just drilling one the size of the wire and filling with silicone.

What is the advantage of the fitting? will it keep the gelcoat from cracking out or have some structural advantages or does it just look pretty.

That looks like it might just work for you.
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings

Quote Originally Posted by gcnettl View Post
    I would look for a thru hull connector, as mentioned above. Ill look around fast and see if I can find you one and post back.

Here is one idea. Use this thru hull fitting to run your wires through, and you can fill it slap up with silicone. http://www.boatfix.com/shop3/store/l...arch=23-665423
    Isn't this the ballast and bilge pump ports in stainless? I been looking to upgrade to those over the plastic ones.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

mmandley--
    you can find those on Ebay. i did. I did not like the black plastic ones that came with the boat. So I did a search on ebay and found them. Cant really remember how much I paid for them but they really look alot nicer than the black ones.