Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Glad to hear, hope it all stays well

I have had same problem with my 2009 Outback.. I have been having to open my motor hatch and turn the blowers on and let it stay on for about 15 to 20 min before it will crank rite.. so I need to try and move the fuel lines away from the exhuast as much as i can.. I have been so sick of this every weekend.. bc everytime we get ready to go ski or whatever i have to sit there that much longer before we go..

For anybody with a carb engine: be sure to keep in mind that the oil pressure sensor could be the problem whenever you have intermittent running issues. It happened on my previous boat, and it's tough to diagnose because it would work sometimes and not others. It cuts the voltage to your fuel pump if your oil pressure goes away.

Ok, 2 times out and no more problems. I can't believe that it was the fuel, but I'll take it since it was a cheap fix. Now onto the vinyl issues. Again, Thanks for all the help.

Default Fuel Valve Problem

First, I'd like to say thanks to everyone who has posted on the fuel and vapor lock problems. It has helped me a lot and got my Moomba back running.

I have a 2002 Mobius V with TBI. New owner this year, however close friend was the previous single owner. First two trips out this year was fine, no issues. Third trip was infamous "run for a while, stop and swim for a while, won't crank, tow to shore". Put the boat in the water the next day and it ran fine again.

Next weekend Friday even hoter, repeat third trip experience.

This is when I researched on this board and found all the vapor lock issues and thought I knew how to deal with it. Float test ran fine next morning, took it on a long trip next day. It cranked and run fine until we got about 50 feet from the dock and it spurted and died. Paddle to shore and spent about 2 hours trying to figure out what the problem was. Never could get it to fire.

Finally got it back to the house and replaced Plugs, Cap, Rotor, Fuel Seperator and no change, still will not crank. Pulled the fuel feed line to the TBI and it was dry and not pumping anything. Kept going back and never could get fuel from the tank.

Removed the ant-siphon (ball valve) from the tank feed line and although it would open with a good amount of force, seemed too much for the low pressure fuel pump to deal with.

Ordered a new valve from local dealer, but also grabbed a 1/4 NPT-3/8 Hose adapter from local Ace store and popped it in. Within a couple key turns had fuel to the TBI input line. Took the boat out today, ran like a champ and not once had a cranking issue. I'm certainly going to put the anti-siphon valve in (when it comes in) and hope that the LP fuel pump isn't really the issue.

Default Not starting

You are not alone. I have been dealing with this issue for 3 seasons now and still working on it. This site is very helpful. I will try it. Thanks!

2004 5.7L carb. Outback. fuel pump not getting power. can hook it up to an external source and the pump runs. oil pressure guage works (at leats it's showing that it works) but motor not getting gas.
    my question is where is that oil pressure sensor at?
    B
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

neber mind, think i found what i was looking for
    thanks anywho
    B

Jrrrr, hope all is well. There is a 3 prong oil pressure/fuel pump switch just port and under the distributor. It is a safety device threaded into a oil pressure port. There is a Orange (batt), purple(ign), red(fuel pump hot), wire on the switch. When the engine is running (and the switch working properly), and there is oil press., it will activate the fuel pump and the motor will run. If no oil press. is detected, no voltage is sent to the pump and the motor won't run, hence the safety feature from locking a motor up. There are a few things to look for. First, verify your ground at the fuel pump, and the wires are firmly on. With a test light on the red post of the switch, while cranking, the light should come on and power should be at the pump. If the light comes on at the switch, verify with the same test on the gray wire on the pump. If no light present there, it is a wiring issue between the pump and switch. While cranking with the light on the red post, and it doesn't light, it is 1 of 2 things. There is debris in the small intake port of the switch, which may or may not be cleaned out by removing and shaking and inspecting (DO NOT USE A SOLVENT TO CLEAN). If this does not work, order the 2 prong Hobbes replacement switch through your dealer or Indmar. Hope this helps, keep us posted. Brian Raymond

I doubt it is the gas. I have the same problem last year and now this year. I ordered the second fuel pump system. Working on installing it now.