Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Cracked block - LSV Mobius 2003

I have a cracked block and need to get this replaced (didn't get winterized earlier enough). I received an estimate from a local dealer for a crate motor (new 5.7 liter GM original marine engine) and charges to switch over all necessary parts. He included a cost for manifolds, but said it didn't sound like i needed them.

Any suggestions on what I can do? I like to shop around, and make sure i'm not getting taken, and I've got one other marine quoting me.

How much does a crate engine run? Is there any suggestions you can give me.

Thanks,
    Linda

Quote Originally Posted by space4you View Post
    I have a cracked block and need to get this replaced (didn't get winterized earlier enough). I received an estimate from a local dealer for a crate motor (new 5.7 liter GM original marine engine) and charges to switch over all necessary parts. He included a cost for manifolds, but said it didn't sound like i needed them.

Any suggestions on what I can do? I like to shop around, and make sure i'm not getting taken, and I've got one other marine quoting me.

How much does a crate engine run? Is there any suggestions you can give me.

Thanks,
    Linda
    Sorry to hear that. You may look around and see if a machine shop can weld the block? It depends on how bad the crack is. You got to find a place with a tall enough cherry picker to get it out of there. Somthing like this but tall enough http://www.thefind.com/family/info-cherry-picker-engine

We had a pretty harsh winter up here for Seattle standards. I ran a little heater in my boat the whole winter as it sat in my driveway. Everything came out fine including the heater core. I have some pretty amazing pics of my XLV with a foot of snow on it and 4 foot icicles hanging off the sides and front of the boat.
    Last edited by ToddXLV; 06-08-2009 at 03:58 PM.

We had a pretty harsh winter up here for Seattle standards. I ran a little heater in my boat the whole winter as it sat in my driveway. Everything came out fine including the heater core. I have some pretty amazing pics of my XLV with a foot of snow on it and 4 foot icicles hanging off the sides and front of the boat.

Nice man id like to see those too LOL. In Portland we have a wicked snow storm over Christmas. We have a lot of pics. I actually put my truck in the garage for it because it wouldn't slide down our driveway LOL.

Now the boat is in the garage so next time ill have to put it in the street i guess by the mail box.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post

Nice man id like to see those too LOL. In Portland we have a wicked snow storm over Christmas. We have a lot of pics. I actually put my truck in the garage for it because it wouldn't slide down our driveway LOL.

Now the boat is in the garage so next time ill have to put it in the street i guess by the mail box.
    Oh yeah mandley, we're in the same area. We actually got about 10 inches of snow Christmas morning. We got stuck in that weird cold pattern for about 3 weeks which is unusual for our area. I remember one night it was like 15 degrees and blowing snow sideways. I thought I was in Eastern Washington. We are usually pretty mild up here in Seattle. I actually have palm trees in my yard.

Yea i was lucky and on vacation for the first time ever over the holidays. I was making some nice side cash though, being the only one with a 4x4 i was driving my GS friends to work in the AM and picking them up in the afternoon. I was the savior.

The whole time i kept thinking, i get paid to do this and its so much fun. Lots of eye candy in the truck for those few weeks. I always had a full Star Bucks coffee too LOL.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    Yea i was lucky and on vacation for the first time ever over the holidays. I was making some nice side cash though, being the only one with a 4x4 i was driving my GS friends to work in the AM and picking them up in the afternoon. I was the savior.

The whole time i kept thinking, i get paid to do this and its so much fun. Lots of eye candy in the truck for those few weeks. I always had a full Star Bucks coffee too LOL.
    Nice gig... there were a lot of snowmobiles on the streets around here... Cops can't do anything cause they have no way of catching em.

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower220 View Post
    http://www.recycler.com/details.aspx?adid=32392810 Found this one for $1,450... 310 area code sounds like Cali?

http://www.recycler.com/details.aspx?adid=32577589 This one for $950

$2,700 - $3,500 is way too much for a Chevy/GM 350 engine. These engines have been around about as long as the dinosaur. I would do some shopping because you should be able to find a new crate engine for around 2K and a good rebuild from 1-1.5K.

Remember these are marinized specialty engines and not just a crate engine. You cannot buy a GM 350 crate engine and add your goodies, doesn't work in these boats. The only common factor per se anymore are the blocks and cranks. Everything now on the Vortec marine engines is made to withstand the harshness of marine life. Consequently they cost a bundle. Talk to your insurance company and see what they'll cover.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    Remember these are marinized specialty engines and not just a crate engine. You cannot buy a GM 350 crate engine and add your goodies, doesn't work in these boats. The only common factor per se anymore are the blocks and cranks. Everything now on the Vortec marine engines is made to withstand the harshness of marine life. Consequently they cost a bundle. Talk to your insurance company and see what they'll cover.
    Yeah, you're right... I doubt insurance will cover an engine unless it was actually stolen out of the boat. I had my outdrive stolen off my old Seaswirl Spyder and my insurance covered it.