Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Jasper engines makes some good reman engines with a 3 year full warranty.

What exactly makes a marine engine a marine engine by the way? Besides the add-ons, it is pretty much a 350 from GM right?

Quote Originally Posted by gcnettl View Post
    Jasper engines makes some good reman engines with a 3 year full warranty.

What exactly makes a marine engine a marine engine by the way? Besides the add-ons, it is pretty much a 350 from GM right?
    No. GM Powertrain Division specifically mfgr. marine engines. About the only major component in common are the blocks, crankshafts, in some cases heads and base induction. Everything else is marine specific, cams, fuel injection, electronics, internal components all to handle marine loads & demands. Here's a snippet from their site ...

The same engine that powers your GM truck or SUV is specialized to create the unparalleled performance you can expect in a GM marine engine.

GM Powertrain has designed a number of important features into its marine engines, such as corrosion resistant alloys, engine oil sealing system, marine-specific camshaft designs for some applications, and cooling systems that are compatible with both salt and fresh water environments.

Because GM Powertrain knows the tremendous demand put on engines in the marine environment, GM marine engines are "tested tough" by being run at extensive wide-open throttle conditions, under load, when subject to the Marine GED Test Schedule (Global Engine Durability).

Even things like water pumps & freeze plugs are different using brass internals or solid brass to resist corrosion. Marine internals like the rockers are rollers to handle the loads. Marine engines take a beating, think about it on & off the throttle dozens of times an outing without the luxury of a variable gear transmission to spread the load.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by ToddXLV View Post
    Yeah, you're right... I doubt insurance will cover an engine unless it was actually stolen out of the boat. I had my outdrive stolen off my old Seaswirl Spyder and my insurance covered it.
    I've heard of some marine insurance covering it. Can't remember which ones it was though.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Yea Razz is makign the right point about a Marine engine.

Also think about how often do you have your car engine at 4K rpms for any extended amount of time. These engines are designed to be at 4K+ RPMs all day long and not fail you.

They are designed to rev quickly and handle a constant load from the boat and towables at high RPMs for long periods of time.

Working on the engine is the same as a car engine except different torque specs on some bolts and of course different brands of parts but the gist of the engine is the same.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    I've heard of some marine insurance covering it. Can't remember which ones it was though.
    I dont see why insurance wouldn't cover it. They cover your car engine when you mash the go pedal till it doesn't go anymore.

Wouldn't it be the same? You pay the deductible and your good to go?

Course i dont know car insurance that well eighter so maybe its changed but i worked on all kinds of cars at Ford they were being paid by the car insurance and they wernt accident repairs.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Don't assume it's not covered. Most boat policies are all risk coverage. So unless there's a freezing or similar exclusion it would likely be covered.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Only difference between a 350 and a marine 350 is high nickel content in the block and brass freeze plugs to combat rust.You could use a regular block and change the plugs to brass but it won't last as long.

Form your right about that, but how many peeps will go to that extent of trouble? Replacing a block is a daunting task and impossible for those that are not mechanics. These engines run at extremely close tolerances now and unless your a tech you won't have the means to do it. A shop will charge more to R&R a block versus a long block or complete engine.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    I dont see why insurance wouldn't cover it. They cover your car engine when you mash the go pedal till it doesn't go anymore.

Wouldn't it be the same? You pay the deductible and your good to go?

Course i dont know car insurance that well eighter so maybe its changed but i worked on all kinds of cars at Ford they were being paid by the car insurance and they wernt accident repairs.
    man, hate to tell you but your car insurance would not cover the engine unless the engine itself was the result of a covered loss. ie collision or comp (vandalism).

it would be considered a maintance issue, thus your $$$$$.

Quote Originally Posted by qb12 View Post
    man, hate to tell you but your car insurance would not cover the engine unless the engine itself was the result of a covered loss. ie collision or comp (vandalism).

it would be considered a maintance issue, thus your $$$$$.

Humm, ill have to call my Allstate agent and check this out then. Last i was told anything and everything is covered by the insurance when it comes to mechanical, you just pay the deductible. Now your rate will increase considerably because you did this which is why most people don't do it.

When i was at Ford we had people getting new engines and transmissions all the time from there insurance companies. It might have changed of course. Like i mentioned i could be wrong in deed.

Luckly i bought a 100K bumper to bumper 51K part warranty on big blue. Everything but fluids, breaks, and tires are covered for 50 buck deductible.
    [COLOR="#696969"]